Apply for a building notice

Table of Contents

For minor work on single family houses such as garage conversions, and extensions. You don't need to submit any plans but you must be confident that the work being done will comply with building regulations.

You risk having to fix any issues after we have inspected if it is not correct. This method is ideally suited to minor domestic alterations and extensions, including replacement windows.

A building notice cannot be used for:

  • a new house fronting on to an unadopted road,
  • any non domestic building work and common parts of residential accommodation for which the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 applies, or will apply after the completion of the building work,
  • where the erection or extension of a building or work involving the underpinning of a building is either building over or within three metres of a public sewer.

In making this application, you are giving us written notice that you intend to carry out building work.  You do not have to submit detailed drawings with this application, although in the case of the erection or extension of a building please provide a site location plan at a scale of not less than 1:1250.  If the site location plan submitted is an extract of an Ordnance Survey map, the map submitted must contain the Ordnance Survey copyright disclaimer and the mapping data (licence number).

We may require more information to make sure that your work is in accordance with the Building Regulations. For example, we may ask for structural calculations, thermal calculations, floor plans etc, although this information would also be useful on deposit of the application.

We do not issue formal approval of a Building Notice.  However, we do monitor the work mainly through a number of site inspections on request.  As we don't approve your plans before you carry out the work, it is your responsibility to ensure that the proposed building work meets the minimum requirements of the Building Regulations.  If we find elements that don't comply, you will need to rectify them.

You can start work two days after we have received a valid Building Notice (this must include the application form and fee). You must let us know when the work is being carried out and at various stages of construction so we can carry out our site inspections.

We are no longer able to accept applications through the Planning Portal please apply using the online forms or contact us on 01628 796 915 if you require any assistance.

Building Control Service : Contact details

Contacting the building control team

Where available, please provide the following information when contacting us:

- Location of site.
- Contact telephone number.
- Application number.
- The type of inspection required together with preferred date and any detail of booked concrete etc.

For further information, please contact us by:

Building Control Service - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 796915