This privacy notice is designed to inform data subjects (natural individuals) what personal information about them is collected, for what purposes it is used, who it may be shared with, how long it is kept and how to obtain a copy. This notice explains in general what the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead do with personal information. More detailed privacy notices are available from each service area to explain more specifically how personal information is processed.
Who is the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
We are a unitary authority responsible for all areas of local government within its geographical boundary. We are registered under the Data Protection Act as a Data Controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
The council registration reference is: Z6764716
We need to collect and use information to deliver services including:
- statutory public services;
- understanding needs to provide the required services;
- helping us to determine how we are performing at delivering services;
- preventing and detecting fraud, corruption and crime;
- undertaking statutory functions efficiently and effectively;
- meeting our legal obligations including those that relate to equality and diversity;
- processing financial transactions including grants, payments and benefits involving the council, or where we are acting on behalf of other government bodies, e.g. Department for Work and Pensions; or
- protecting individuals.
We may not be able to provide the right services unless we have enough information.
We may need to pass information to other people and organisations who provide a service on our behalf or if there is a lawful basis for doing so. These organisations are obliged to keep information securely, and use it only for specified purposes.
How personal information is obtained
To enable us to deliver the wide range of services it is responsible for information may be obtained from data subjects or provided by other services and partner agencies involved in delivering services.
We may collect information on paper or online forms, by telephone, email or a member of our staff may collect information from you in person.
Information about data subjects may be collected on our behalf by any of our business partners.
How does the borough use the information provided
We use personal information to provide specific services to data subjects. We only use personal information for the purposes for which it has been obtained. Each service publishes a detailed privacy notice explaining how personal information is processed by the service.
All our services have their own service specific privacy notice(s) which further describe how information is used.
Who may the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead share personal information with and why
We will not share personal information with any other parties, except where required to carry out its statutory duties and functions or where required by law. Details of which information may be shared is contained within each service’s privacy notice.
Who has access to the personal information
Personal information is accessible on a need-to-know basis. Employees and business partners may be granted access and are obliged to respect the confidentiality of personal information.
For how long is personal information retained
Personal information is retained for as long as necessary to deliver the specific services. Other personal information is retained for specific periods defined by legislation. Record retention periods are listed on each services privacy notice.
How to request a copy of personal information
People have a right to request and receive a copy of their personal information. To exercise this right please e-mail or write to:
Data Protection Officer
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Tel: 01628 796945
NB: It is helpful for a description of the required personal information to be provided in the e-mail or letter including whether all the personal information held by us is required or just that from a particular service.
How the borough keeps personal information safe
Our employees and business partners who have access to and are associated with the processing of personal information are obliged to respect the confidentiality of personal information. All access to personal information is controlled by secure computer logins and passwords.
Personal information will not be disclosed to government institutions and authorities except if required by law or other regulation.
We use a secure transmission method for confidential personal information such as financial or identification data (e.g. credit card details).
How to complain about how the borough processes personal information
We strive to meet the highest standards when collecting and using personal information. Complaints are taken very seriously and data subjects are encouraged to bring any issues to our attention.
To do this either e-mail or write to:
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Tel: 01628 683857
Additionally data subjects have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner, the regulatory authority.
The contact details are:
Information on cookies can be found in our cookies page.
- Privacy notice: Bursar support team
- Privacy notice : Children claiming Early Education Funding (EEF)
Commissioning and Communities
- Privacy notice : Flood risk management
- Privacy notice : Highway licences
- Privacy notice : Highway projects
- Privacy notice : Highways transport
- Privacy notice : Traffic and road safety
- Privacy notice : Tree team
- Privacy notice : Weight limit enforcement camera
- Weight Restriction Enforcement ANPR Camera System Policy
Enforcement and partnerships
- Privacy notice : Commercial Services Team
- Privacy notice : Communities, enforcement and protection
- Privacy notice : Community protection team
- Privacy notice : Community safety public spaces protection order consultation
- Privacy notice : Community Wardens
- Privacy notice : Environment protection - Uniform records
- Privacy notice : Environmental protection statutory notice files
- Privacy notice : Trading Standards
- Privacy notice : Unauthorised encampments
Environment and waste
- Privacy notice : Empty homes
- Privacy notice : Flexible Home Improvement Loans
- Privacy notice : Housing assistance
- Privacy notice : Housing enabling service
- Privacy notice : Housing interest free loan request
- Privacy notice : Housing options
- Privacy notice: House in multiple occupation licence