Caravan site licence and register

Table of Contents

Under the Caravan Site and Control of Development Act 1960 and the Mobile Home Act 2013, caravan and mobile home sites are required to have a licence. This is granted by the Local Authority. 

To successfully be granted a licence the caravan or mobile home site must have:

  • Planning permission for the use of the site. We are unable to consider an application unless planning permission is in place for the site. 
  • Meet certain safety standards for example spacing of caravans, fire precautions, drainage, washing facilities, maintenance and safety of roads, footpaths and car parking.
  • Set out site rules for its residents and visitors.


You are not required a licence for:

  • Incidental use within the curtilage of a home (e.g. a caravan kept on a domestic driveway for private use by the owners).
  • Single caravans on land for not more than two consecutive nights of any 28 days in a 12 month period.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations (e.g. the Caravan Club).
  • Sites for temporary or special purposes such as agriculture, forestry workers, engineering and building sites.
  • Up to three caravans on a site not less than five acres (maximum of 28 days in 12 months).
  • Travelling showmen.
  • Sites occupied by local authority such as gypsy and traveller sites.

The council maintains a register of all currently licensed sites within the borough.

If you require further information, please complete the form using the link below.