Anti-social behaviour and community trigger

Antisocial behaviour is behaviour which causes, or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to one or more people who are not in the same household as the perpetrator.

Examples of antisocial behaviour can include but are not limited to:

  • vandalism,
  • graffiti,
  • rowdy inconsiderate behaviour,
  • nuisance neighbours
  • fly-tipping, fly-posting,
  • dog related anti-social behaviour (ASB),
  • offensive and threatening behaviour,
  • Misuse of communal/public areas.

If the person or persons you are complaining about lives in a Housing Association Property you should call the Housing Association as they are responsible for addressing anti-social behaviour in their properties:

All other instances of anti-social behaviour can be reported to:

  • 01628 683800 during office hours or by emailing
  • Thames Valley Police non-emergency number 101 outside office hours.

Noise complaints

Complaints about noise must be reported via our online form.

Following a complaint, if you feel that no one is dealing with persistent anti-social behaviour problems you are experiencing you can request a review of your case (also referred to as a "Community Trigger"). This can be done by telephone, email, or post.

Community trigger

The community trigger is a means by which victims of persistent anti-social behaviour (including incidents of hate) in the Royal Borough can request a review of their case. Once the community trigger process has been requested, the relevant agencies, which may include the local authority, police, health providers and/or social housing, will work together and decide whether any further action can be taken to resolve the issue. 

It is important to remember that community trigger is not for making a complaint or reporting new anti-social behaviour cases. 

If you want to make a complaint about the way in which an organisation has dealt with your case, you should enquire with them about their complaints procedure. 

A community trigger can be applied for if you feel that no one is dealing with the anti-social behaviour problems you are experiencing.

If you have already reported the problem to the Royal Borough, police or housing provider, the community trigger is a way for you to ask the agencies to review your case. It will make sure we work together to try and solve the problem. 

Criteria for requesting a community trigger

The Community Trigger can be used when either:

  • three reports of anti-social behaviour have been made by one person to the council, police or registered social landlord about the same issue in the last six months, and you feel no action has been taken; or
  • five individuals have separately reported related issues in the last six months and feel no action has been taken. These must be separate incidents and not different residents reporting the same incident.

All reports must have been reported within one month of the incident occurring.

Appeal process

If you disagree with the outcome of your Community Trigger application, you can submit an appeal.

You should request an appeal within 21 working days of receiving your outcome letter and action plan.

A community trigger may only be escalated to the Community Trigger panel where one of the following measures is satisfied:

  1. The Community Trigger Case Review has failed to consider a relevant process, policy or protocol;
  2. The Community Trigger Case Review has failed to consider relevant factual information.

When you submit an ASB Case Review appeal application the role of the Community Trigger Panel will be to consider:

  • that due processes have been undertaken in relation to your case
  • ensure that the nominated relevant bodies involved in your case have properly and effectively undertaken the review.

In considering the appeal, the Community Trigger panel can either:

  • uphold the appeal and refer the case back to the relevant bodies, asking them to consider a particular process, policy or protocol not previously considered; or
  • determine that the Borough Council and nominated relevant bodies have reviewed the case, considering all relevant policies, process and protocols satisfactorily in line with the Community Trigger process.

How to request a Community Trigger

You can apply for the Community Trigger by completing the following referral forms: 


Community Trigger results

Date Number of community trigger applications Number of applications where threshold was not met Number of case reviews carried out Number of cases where recommendations were made
January-December 2015 1 1 1 1
January-December 2016 1 1 0 0
January-December 2017 1 1 0 0
January-December 2018 0 0 0 0
January-December 2019 0 0 0 0
January-December 2020 2 2 0 0
January-December 2021 4 0 4 4
January-December 2022 20 12 6 6
January-December 2023 8 7 1 0

Community safety team : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Community Safety team - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 683830