Application for a lane closure or to introduce or suspend existing traffic measures
This lane closure/temporary traffic measures application should be used to apply for:
- Closure of a lane on dual carriageway.
- To suspend existing traffic measures – i.e. suspend the yellow line area, suspend weight limits or to reverse traffic flows etc.
- To introduce temporary traffic measures – i.e. to introduce no left/right turn, to introduce no waiting restriction in unrestricted sections of the highway, to introduce temporary one way system.
The applicant will be contacted after the submission of the application to confirm whether the proposed dates are acceptable, whether the proposed times can be accommodated and whether the attached documents are considered as sufficient and of the required standard.
We would not consider allowing for the road closure or change/introduction of the measures for extensive duration, where the road is traffic sensitive or where it is believed that the proposed event is not safe or would cause major disruption to Highway Network. In all the cases we will contact the applicant and advise of issues with the application and submitted proposals.
In order to make an application you have to fulfil the following requirements:
- A notice period of a minimum three months is required for the introduction or suspension of the traffic measures to be considered.
- A notice period of a minimum of four weeks is required for a lane closure to be considered.
- CAD Traffic Management Plan and relevant signage schedule has to be submitted (for local events a lesser standard can be accepted).
- Evidence must be provided of Public Liability Insurance of £5 million.
- For events – Event Management Plan including Traffic Management has to be provided.
- The charge for a lane closure is currently £275.
- The charge for introduction/suspension of temporary traffic measures varies and can be found in the table of charges on the form. Should you have any queries about the applicable fee please contact Network.email@example.com. In the absence of any queries it will be considered that you understand and accept fee due.
- For local interest events the applicant will be liable for costs of advertising unless they fulfil the legal requirement for advertising directly with the relevant newspaper. If the advertising will be covered by the applicant this needs to be clearly stated in the application.
- Payment of lane closure will be taken at the end of the application.
- An invoice will be generated for the payment of the fee for introduction/suspension of temporary traffic measures.
- Once the application is approved, information relating to the application will be published on www.one.network.
When completing the application clear information needs to be provided in relation to extent, times and reason why the measures are required. Statements “As per attached drawing” or “Not sufficient width”, “From House X 50 metres” will not be accepted and application will be considered as incomplete.
Applications will be considered as incomplete if the required documents and CAD drawings are not provided and would not be processed.