Registration of a food business

Table of Contents

The main purpose of the registration process is to let the council know where premises are and what type of business is being operated. In this way, we can ensure that every premise receives an inspection and resources can be allocated and targeted in the appropriate areas.

If you own, have taken over or intend to start a new food business within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, you are required legally to register your business with us at least 28 days before taking ownership or opening. If you have more than one premises, you will need to register all of them. For mobile food business such as a takeaway van you need to register with the council where your vehicle is stored overnight.

Registration is free of charge.  We will check that the registration form is properly completed and enter the details on to our database. Records of information other than trading name and address will not be publicly available.  Please note that if the business is being operated by a Limited Company you must record the name of the company as the food business operator on the registration form. Once you have registered, you must notify us in the future if there is a change in ownership or a change in the nature of the business.

Registration may be applied for by using this Registering a food business website.

Before you may need to carry out some checks:

  • Check with the Planning Team to ensure you have appropriate planning permission for your intended business. 
  • Check with Building Control  if you need to carry out any construction work or alterations to find out whether you need building regulation consent.
  • Check with the Licensing Team  if you plan to operate a mobile food business which trades on any street within the borough and if you intend to sell alcohol as you may require a specific licence for street trading, alcohol, entertainment or late night refreshments. 
  • Check with Trading Standards  if you intend making and packaging foods for retail sale as you may require labelling, composition and allergen advice.
  • Check with the Waste Management Team as you may need to arrange for a trade waste contract for the disposal of the waste generated by your business.

Once you register, an officer will contact you in order to discuss your business and arrange for an inspection of your premises. Most premises are given a Food Hygiene Scheme Rating (FHRS) showing their compliance with food safety requirements.

Certain more complex food businesses must be approved by us to produce and sell foods of animal origin to other businesses. These products include meat products, minced meat and meat preparations (such as sausages), milk and dairy products, fish and fish products and egg products. Generally these products must display a health mark.  The rules relating to premises requiring approval are within EC Regulation 853/2004.  If you need to be approved, you do not have to register as well.  An approval application form can be completed on line.