What is different?

Table of Contents

Universal Credit will be paid as a single payment for your household. It will be paid into your bank, building society or credit union account once a month, in arrears.

If your Universal Credit payment includes housing costs to help with your rent, you'll need to pay this to your landlord yourself.

For more information on what this means, please visit the Universal Credit website.

Universal Credit applies to most residents except if you are;

  • of state pension age - check your state pension age
  • are resident in 'supported exempt accommodation' - generally hostels or sheltered housing
  • are resident in temporary accommodation

These exempt groups can continue to claim Housing Benefit. However please enquire if you need further information as to what you should claim.

You can check your eligibility and claim online (You will need your national insurance number and postcode)

Council Tax Support should still be applied for online in the normal manner regardless of any claim for Universal Credit.

The Department for Work & Pensions Universal Credit helpline number on 0800 328 5644.

If you need help claiming Universal Credit contact your Local Citizens's Advice Bureau who have a dedicated service for this.