Hong Kong Nationals resettlement

Welcome to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead. 

The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead is a Royal Borough of Berkshire, in South East England. It is named after both the towns of Maidenhead and Windsor, the borough also covers the nearby towns of Ascot and Eton. It is home to Windsor Castle, Eton College, Legoland Windsor and Ascot Racecourse. 

Maidenhead‘s history goes back to the stone age. Maidenhead town grew out of a small hamlet when the first bridge was built in 1280. Maidenhead became a major point on the great west road for travellers going between London, Reading, Gloucester, Bath and Bristol (West Country).  

By the mid 18th century, Maidenhead was one of the busiest coaching towns in England with over ninety coaches a day passing through the town. The late 18th-century Bear Hotel on the High Street is the best of the town's old coaching inns surviving to this day.

Windsor was of particular importance to the Norman conquerors given the significance to the River Thames as the main trade route from London to the country. In later medieval times, royal use of Windsor increased because it offered good access to woodlands and opportunities for hunting – a sport which also practised military skills.

This page provides local and Government information for getting you settled and to facilitate your belonging and participation in local community life. 

Welcome Pack by the UK government

Central government has issued a Welcome Pack for arrivals from Hong Kong on the British Nationals (Overseas) visa.

The pack includes information on employment, starting a business, education, housing, healthcare, applying for public funds, acting on discrimination and legal rights and responsibilities.

For further information on:

Visa and Immigration

Information on visas and immigration including studying, working and living here permanently.



Housing and Benefits

  • Council tax is paid by each household and pays for the services the council provides. There is one bill for each home, whether it is a house, flat, bungalow, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented.
  • Benefits: see what council tax and benefit support you may be entitled to.
  • Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs including rent, childcare and employment. You may be able to get it if you are on a low income, out of work or you cannot work.


Finding a job 

You are entitled to work while you are living in the UK. Before you can start work, you need to apply for a National Insurance number. You can start work without a National Insurance number if you can prove you have the right to work in the UK.

If you are unable to find a job straight away, or need additional financial support, you are eligible to apply for benefits immediately. Find out what support is available to you.

A local Jobcentre Plus, can also help you find employment and assess you for financial benefits.

International qualifications

The UK European Network Information Centre (UK ENIC) provides expert advice on behalf of the UK government on the comparability of international qualifications, including those from Hong Kong to UK qualifications.

Setting up a business 

Read the starting and setting up a business guidance on the GOV.UK website for more information on:

  • Working for yourself.
  • Employing staff for the first time.
  • Getting help and support for your business and applying for a start-up loan.
  • Setting up a limited company, a limited partnership and a social enterprise.

British Business Bank

The British Business Bank is the UK's government-owned development bank. It offers advice and support to small businesses in the UK, including help to identify suitable financing options. Working with partners it also offers start up loans and free mentoring advice to newly established companies.

You should also see the British Business Bank’s Finance Hub.

Income Tax 

See the GOV.UK website for information about Self Assessment Tax Returns.

National information 

South East Strategic Partnership for Migration 

South East local authorities assistance to new arrivals from Hong Kong into the South East Website.

Hong Kong settles in Britain 

Help, advice and information for the Hong Kong community is available at Hong Kongers in Britain (HKB) website.

HKB is a civil-society organisation whose aims are:

  • To safeguard the rights for Hongkongers seeking asylum from improper treatment of detention and deportation.
  • To inform and share the culture and community of Hongkongers with British society and vice versa.
  • To facilitate integration, promote racial harmony, and enhance socio-cultural connections between Hongkongers and British society.
  • To advance charitable objectives beneficial to the Hongkongers community in the UK.

For any further information or assistance, please email: edpsych@achievingforchildren.org.uk.