Premises licence

Make an application

Applications should be made to the local authority where the premises are situated. You will need to submit the following alongside your application form to all Responsible Authorities:

  • a plan of the premises - to a scale of at least 1:100 unless otherwise agreed with RBWM officers 
  • a consent form signed by the Designated Premises Supervisor - required for the sale of alcohol and
  • proof of entitlement to work in the UK – for a list of acceptable documents refer to the guidance notes attached to each of the application forms.

Designated Premises Supervisor

All premises that sells alcohol has to specify an individual to take responsibility for the day-to-day control of a premises and to authorise other staff members to sell alcohol. This person is known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) and must hold a personal licence.


You will be charged a fee based on the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.

To find out how much the rateable value of your premises is please visit this website: Find a business rates valuation.


Once an application has been submitted, a member of the Licensing Team will issue an invoice for payment.


After you have submitted your application, you must display a blue notice at the premises for 28 days and place an advertisement in a local newspaper within the first 10 working days of the submission date. 

There will be a consultation period for 28 days during which responsible authorities and other people (e.g. local residents or businesses) can object.

Consultation with specified responsible authorities is part of the application process.

  • If there are no objections, the premises licence will be granted.
  • If there are objections, the Licensing Sub-Committee will consider the application at a public hearing.

Duration of licence

Once issued, premises licences have an unlimited duration, unless they are for short events and the holder has specified an expiry date. For all other licences, an annual fee is payable on the anniversary of the grant of the licence. This is calculated by the non-domestic rateable value of the premises.


Applications may be given by post or electronically by submitting the completed application form and all the required documents to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Licensing Department and the Responsible Authorities.

Your application will not be considered valid until a full application and supporting documents including the fee has been received by RBWM at:

Licensing, Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead, Town Hall, St Ives Road, Maidenhead, SL6 1RF or scanned and emailed to

Apply for: Premises licence (GOV.UK)

Blue notice advert template (docx)

Request to cease being the Designated premises Supervisor

Please complete our online form below to cease being the designated premises supervisor.

Making changes to licences 

There are certain circumstances that will require the licence holder to make an application to change their licence or to give notification:

  • variation of a premises licence 
  • minor variation of a premises licence 
  • variation of designated premises supervisor
  • transfer of a premises licence
  • request to be removed as designated premises supervisor
  • dis-application of the designated premises supervisor (club premises only)
  • interim authority notice
  • notification of an interest in premises and
  • notification of change of name or address.

Completed forms and other required documents must be sent with the fee to the relevant local authority.  Please view the GOV.UK current licensing fees and charges to find out how much you will need to pay.

  • Application to vary a premises licence
  • Application to transfer a premises licence
  • Consent to transfer a premises licence form
  • Application to vary the designated premises supervisor
  • DPS consent form
  • Application for a minor variation
  • Notification of an interest in premises under section 178
  • Interim authority notice form

Apply for: A variation or transfer premises licence (GOV.UK website)

Change of name, replacement copy or surrender a licence

Please use the online form below to request changes to your premise licence. This would include:

  • Change of name or address
  • Replacement copy 
  • Notify us to surrender licence

Provisional Statement

For premises that have not yet been constructed, or which will need significant amounts of work before they can be used for licensable activities may apply for a Provisional Statement to be granted. 

Apply for: Provisional statement (GOV.UK website)

Licensing : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Licensing Section - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF