In exceptional circumstances residents can apply to the council to rename a street. This may be done because;
- There is confusion over the street's name,
- The residents are in agreement that the street name should be changed, or
- The current numbering system is causing issues.
- The applicant, usually a property owner on the affected street, should complete an address query form.
- The applicant should email or post the completed application form. See the correspondence information below.
The council's obligations
- We will consult with existing residents and their views sought. It is council policy that a street name change can only occur if all the occupiers (business or Council Tax rate-payers) of the affected street are in written agreement to the change.
- We will consult with ward councillors, the parish councillors and Royal Mail, and where applicable with the emergency services. This may lead to a post code change for the affected properties.
- It is not council policy to pay for the new street signage and applicants are referred to the Permits team on 01628 796135 for information on street signage costs.