How to rename or re-number streets

Table of Contents

In exceptional circumstances residents can apply to the council to rename a street. This may be done because;

  • There is confusion over the street's name,
  • The residents are in agreement that the street name should be changed, or
  • The current numbering system is causing issues.

Your obligations

  1. The applicant, usually a property owner on the affected street, should complete an address query form.
  2. The applicant should email or post the completed application form. See the correspondence information below.

The council's obligations

  1. We will consult with existing residents and their views sought. It is council policy that a street name change can only occur if all the occupiers (business or Council Tax rate-payers) of the affected street are in written agreement to the change.
  2. We will consult with ward councillors, the parish councillors and Royal Mail, and where applicable with the emergency services. This may lead to a post code change for the affected properties.
  3. It is not council policy to pay for the new street signage and applicants are referred to the Permits team on 01628 796135 for information on street signage costs.

Address management : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Address Management
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall
St Ives Road