How to change the house name of a named only property

Table of Contents

Your obligations

  1. Anyone wishing to change the name of their property needs to notify the council. All applications and documentations should be sent to
  2. The applicant should email or post the completed application form. See the correspondence information below.
  3. The property owner is required to complete and sign an address amendment form. To change the name of the property you must be the owner of the building. If you are currently in the process of purchasing a property and wish to change the name, we cannot change the name until the completion date.
  4. When a property has been allocated a property name or number it must be displayed and be clearly visible from the street. If the property has been allocated a house number then this number cannot be removed from the address and must be clearly displayed on the property. The owner is obliged to use this number.
  5. Please do not make any changes to the address of your property until you have received written confirmation of the new name from the council.

The council's obligations

  1. We will acknowledge the receipt of your application.
  2. Check to ensure that there are no duplications/ambiguities of addresses. This includes liaising with Royal Mail. This process can take up to 7 to 10 working days.
  3. If there is a problem with the proposed name change the council will contact you and seek your written approval to attempt to register the next choice name. This process will be repeated if the second choice name is rejected by Royal Mail.
  4. Ensure data is published to the National Land and Property Gazetteer, Royal Mail, emergency services and internally within the council to ensure the property can be located and services can be provided.
  5. Royal Mail should alter their databases within 10 working days. However it will usually take some time for the change to be filtered through to other company databases.
  6. Upon the completion of the application the council will generate and send an invoice for the amount payable to process the application. The invoice will be charged against the applicant details you supply on the form unless you specify otherwise.

Address management : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Address Management
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall
St Ives Road