Report a problem with overhanging trees and shrubs

This form should only be used to report minor issues. If you need to report an emergency situation, such as a fallen tree or branch that is an immediate danger to the public, please call our contact centre.

Trees, hedges and shrubs can grow to overhang verges, pavements and roads.

This can cause a variety of problems such as:

  • obscuring visibility,
  • obscuring street lights, traffic lights and signs,
  • causing an obstruction or,
  • presenting a hazard to pedestrians and other road users.

We are responsible for maintaining vegetation on the public highway, in parks and on our own properties. However, it is the owner or occupier’s responsibility to maintain vegetation growing on their property to ensure that it does not obstruct the highway.  Clearance heights should be 2.5m over the pavement and 5.2m over the road.

National Highways is responsible for maintaining motorways and trunk roads, please contact National Highways if the problem is on one of these roads:

  • M4
  • M25
  • A308(M)
  • A404(M)
  • A404

The responsibility for maintenance of private roads and private streets lies with the road owners or residents.

To report a problem with overhanging vegetation, you will need to tell us:

  • The location of the problem,
  • The nature of the problem,
  • Any other relevant information,
  • Your contact details if you want to be updated on progress,
  • Upload a photo if you have one.

If you would like to access your report case after submission you will need to sign in or sign up to an account before you start the form.