Submitting an Appeal
School Admission Appeals are heard throughout the year and we encourage you to submit your appeal should as soon as possible after receiving your refusal letter.
We also strongly encourage you to upload your supporting evidence when you first submit your appeal as stated below. In addition, please ensure you read the Admissions Guide, to note what can and cannot be accepted by the Appeal Panel.
Please ensure that you have to hand & upload:
- a full copy/scan of your refusal letter (we are unable to accept a screenshot of part of the letter & require the whole document please)
- any supporting documentation ready to upload, eg. proof of residency, if moving house is the reason for your appeal,
- supporting documentation if appealing on medical, social or welfare grounds,
- a pre-prepared statement outlining your reasons as to why you wish your child to attend your preferred school and the grounds for your appeal.
Please note: We are unable to accept statements/letters of support from schools for individual appeals as per Section 2.14 of the School Admission Appeals Code 2022.
School appeals for application to schools during the academic year are heard monthly and within 30 school days of the appeal being submitted (excluding bank holidays, weekends and school holidays).
Below are the currently scheduled dates for in-year appeals during the next academic year 2023/24 that will be held at the Town Hall, St Ives Road, Maidenhead, SL6 1RF. The deadline to submit an appeal to be heard on that date is also stated below. These are strict deadlines and must be adhered too due to high number of appeals we receive. School holidays are also factored into these dates.
- Monday 18 September 2023 (deadline 18 August 2023)
- Thursday 5 October 2023 (deadline 7 September 2023)*
- Monday 23 October 2023 (deadline 22 September 2023)
- Tuesday 7 November 2023 (deadline 9 October 2023)*
- Tuesday 28 November 2023 (deadline 9 November 2023)
- Monday 11 December 2023 (deadline 24 November 2023)
- Tuesday 23 January 2024 (deadline 12 December 2023)
- Tuesday 27 February 2024 (deadline 8 February 2024)
- Monday 25 March 2024 (deadline 6 March 2024)
- Monday 22 April 2024 (deadline 18 March 2024)
- Friday 24 May 2024 (deadline 3 May 2024)
- Tuesday 11 June 2024 (deadline 22 May 2024)
- Tuesday 23 July 2024 (deadline 4 July 2024)
*subject to the quantity of appeals received
Our main round of appeals are heard primarily during the late Spring & Summer months. These are split into Secondary & Primary school appeals.
The deadlines for lodging appeals for this main round of summer appeals for entry into schools in September 2024, are as follows:
Secondary appeals - Monday 25 March 2024 at 5pm* - with an aim to be heard during May and early June**
Primary appeals - Monday 20 May 2024 at 5pm* - with an aim to be heard during June and early July**
You will be notified of the date and time of your appeal at least 10 working days before the appeal.
Appeals received after the above deadlines will be heard within 40 school days of receipt, however this may not be before September 2024 in accordance with the School Admission Appeals Code 2022.
*subject to the announcements of the 2024 national offer days
**subject to the quantity of appeals received
Infant-class size appeals
If you are appealing for a place in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, please note that Government regulations limit class sizes to 30 pupils per class teacher in these year groups. Therefore, there are very limited grounds on which appeals to these year groups can be allowed. Examples of how the panel could allow an infant-class size appeal are if:
- the infant-class size limit would not be breached if your child were admitted to the school,
- the admissions arrangements were not correctly and impartially applied in your particular case,
- the decision to refuse your child a place at the school was unreasonable.
Please do carefully consider which of the above apply to your case before submitting an infant-class size appeal.