Building Regulations apply to any work that is classed as building work. This includes the following.
New buildings or extensions (Installing, extending or altering services or fittings)
- Replacement windows.
- Foul and storm water drainage.
- Sanitary equipment (toilets, washing facilities etc.).
- Unvented hot water systems.
- Heating appliances.
- Electrical installations in or attached to a dwelling.
- Competent Persons Schemes may be used for some work involving services or fittings.
- Inserting cavity wall insulation.
Alterations affecting stability, fire safety or access and use requirements
- Removal of all or part of a load bearing wall.
- Converting a loft into a room.
- Converting a garage into a room.
- Re-tiling a roof if the tiles are heavier or lighter than those taken off.
- Replacement ground floors.
- The installation of a shop front.
Changing the use of all or part of a building to any of the following:
- A dwelling or flat or a building with an increased or decreased number of dwellings or flats.
- A hotel or boarding house, an institution, a public building or a shop.
- A building which is no longer in one of the exempt building categories.
- A building which contains rooms for residential purposes or has an increased or decreased number of rooms for residential purposes.
Renovating or replacing thermal elements
- Cladding, rendering, re-rendering or re-plastering external walls.
- Re-tiling or re-felting a roof.
- Re-boarding timber ground floors.
Changing the energy status of a building
- Changing the internal environment in a building such as lighting, heating or cooling.