Who needs to apply for Building Regulations?

Table of Contents

Building Regulations apply to any work that is classed as building work. This includes the following.

New buildings or extensions (Installing, extending or altering services or fittings)

This includes:

  • Replacement windows.
  • Foul and storm water drainage.
  • Sanitary equipment (toilets, washing facilities etc.).
  • Unvented hot water systems.
  • Heating appliances.
  • Electrical installations in or attached to a dwelling.
  • Competent Persons Schemes may be used for some work involving services or fittings.
  • Inserting cavity wall insulation.
  • Underpinning.

Alterations affecting stability, fire safety or access and use requirements

This includes:

  • Removal of all or part of a load bearing wall.
  • Converting a loft into a room.
  • Converting a garage into a room.
  • Re-tiling a roof if the tiles are heavier or lighter than those taken off.
  • Replacement ground floors.
  • The installation of a shop front.

Changing the use of all or part of a building to any of the following:

  • A dwelling or flat or a building with an increased or decreased number of dwellings or flats.
  • A hotel or boarding house, an institution, a public building or a shop.
  • A building which is no longer in one of the exempt building categories.
  • A building which contains rooms for residential purposes or has an increased or decreased number of rooms for residential purposes.

Renovating or replacing thermal elements

This includes:

  • Cladding, rendering, re-rendering or re-plastering external walls.
  • Re-tiling or re-felting a roof.
  • Re-boarding timber ground floors.

Changing the energy status of a building

This includes:

  • Changing the internal environment in a building such as lighting, heating or cooling.

Building Control Service : Contact details

Contacting the building control team

Where available, please provide the following information when contacting us:

- Location of site.
- Contact telephone number.
- Application number.
- The type of inspection required together with preferred date and any detail of booked concrete etc.

For further information, please contact us by:

Building Control Service - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 796915