Apply for building regulations

Table of Contents

Before you start work

Please be aware it is illegal to start work without notifying us first. You might have to correct the work or pay a fine if you do not tell us about it.

You will also need a completion certificate if you want to sell your home. If you don’t obtain a completion certificate it may void the insurance policy on the property. It is strongly advised you check this with your insurer.

You can apply for building regulations approval online via the Planning portal :

Apply via the Planning portal 

Find out about Building Regulations by viewing:

Information for builders

The Health and Safety Executive has produced leaflets for builders, providing guidance on a variety of topics. For details, please visit their website.

Planning Portal - Building Regulations Approved Documents

The central government Planning Portal - Building Regulations Approved Documents has approved documents relating to building regulations.

Building Control Service : Contact details

Contacting the building control team

Where available, please provide the following information when contacting us:

- Location of site.
- Contact telephone number.
- Application number.
- The type of inspection required together with preferred date and any detail of booked concrete etc.

For further information, please contact us by:

Building Control Service - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 796915