Home energy grants

Around a third of carbon emissions in the borough come from residential properties and energy costs can have a significant impact on household budgets. The council is keen to support residents to improve the energy efficiency of properties and, in doing so, reduce carbon emissions. We often run schemes to provide financial support to upgrade homes.

The best way to reduce bills and carbon emissions is to install energy efficiency measures, such as insulation, or by using renewable technologies such as solar panels and heat pumps. Interested residents should note that eligibility requirements differ between the schemes and this page will be updated with new schemes when they are available.

If you are interested in registering for any schemes please click the links below and follow the instructions to register.

Current Schemes

Please check this page regularly for updates on upcoming schemes. Further details are likely to be released in the next couple of months.

In the meantime, please follow the council's social media on Facebook and Twitter for updates. 

(updated: January 2023)


Previous schemes

Sustainable Warmth Scheme

The registration period for this scheme has now closed.

This is a government grant scheme suitable for those who are at risk of fuel poverty.

The Sustainable Warmth Scheme is the follow-on phase of the Local Authority Delivery (LAD) schemes which you can read more about in the "previous schemes" section below.

Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead residents may be eligible for the Sustainable Warmth Grant if your household income after tax, council tax and energy costs is £31,000 or less per year or less or if someone in your household receives benefits. The property must also have an EPC rating of D-G. 

The Sustainable Warmth scheme at a glance:

  • Both on-gas and off-gas properties are eligible.
  • Free energy upgrades for both private households and privately rented occupants subject to both the resident and private landlord agreement.

Eligible residents could receive energy efficiency upgrades such as:

  • Wall insulation
  • Floor and roof insulation
  • Double glazing
  • Heat pumps
  • Solar panels/solar thermal panels

The scheme will not fund any fossil fuel heating sources.


Applicants must be a private home owners or a privately renting. Where privately renting, both the landlord and tenant must agree to take part in the scheme and the landlord must agree to cover one-third of the measure install costs.

Eligibility is then determined by whether the resident is at risk of fuel poverty, such as:

  • Whether the household income is lower than £30,000 / receipt of benefits) and;
  • Whether the property is difficult to keep warm (generally the properties EPC rating should be D-G)

Upon receiving the residents application and permission, the councils partner for this scheme, City Energy, will assess the applicants eligibility and if eligible they will arrange a suitable date to carry out property surveys to determine which measures are best suited. The resident will then be informed of the result and, upon the residents agreement, a date will be arranged for installation of the measures.

Please note, the scheme does not require any financial contribution from private home owners and the resident can opt out at any time until the point at which they make a final agreement with our scheme partner to go ahead with installations.

Applications should be made by Saturday 31 December 2022 to allow time for the eligibility assessment and the installation before the scheme deadline Friday 31 March 2023

If you require support in completing the application form please call the dedicated number on 02921 680951 where a City Energy customer service member will be able to help you.

Local Authority Delivery Scheme (LAD)

The registration period for this scheme has now closed.

As part of the Green Homes Grant scheme, the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) offer a grant to Local Authorities to fully-fund energy-saving home improvements such as insulation, solar panels and heat pumps.

Households must have an EPC rating of D-G and the scheme is open to private households and private-rented households which have a household income of £30,000 or less after tax and energy bills.

Sustainability and climate change : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Sustainability and Climate Change Lead  - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF