Apply for benefits

If you are on a low income and paying either rent and/or Council Tax, you may be entitled to Housing Benefit, Council Tax Support or Second Adult Rebate.

If you get income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, "guaranteed" Pension Credit or Income Support, you may get your full eligible rent paid.

If you do not get these benefits the amount of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support you get depends on:

  • the amount of eligible rent you pay
  • your liability to Council Tax
  • how many people live with you
  • your personal circumstances
  • how much money you have coming in
  • how much you have in savings.

Calculate and claim housing benefit and council tax support


You may have been advised to complete and submit a shortened form for Council Tax Support if you fulfil one of the following criteria:

You are already in receipt of Housing Benefit and have had a change in circumstances which means you may now qualify for Council Tax Support as well;


You have recently applied for Housing Benefit via the Department of Works and Pensions or Pension Service and have been advised you need to claim Council Tax Support from your local council.

If either of the above circumstances apply to you, you won't usually need to submit a full application form online. Instead you can complete a shortened Council Tax Support application form.

You should complete and return this to us as soon as possible, any delay may mean you have to submit a full application and/or you could lose out on getting a reduction on your Council Tax.

Please be aware that if you do not already have a Housing Benefit claim or you have not within the last month submitted a claim via the Department of Works and Pensions or Pension Service, you will need to complete the full application form.

Revenues and benefits team : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Revenues and Benefits Team - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
PO Box 3464
Telephone: 01628 796036