HM The Queen’s Message to the Armed Forces - Tuesday 14 July 2020
The Queen video calls Armed Forces personnel serving overseas.
Veterans Rail Card - November 2020
A new railcard for British military veterans remains on track for release by this November.
Armed forces day - Saturday 27 June 2020
As many events were cancelled, Armed Forces Day was celebrated virtually with a number of events and activities leading up to the actual day on Saturday 27 June. There was a separate theme each day that week including a :
- Reserves day on Wednesday 24 June,
- Veterans day on Thursday 25 June and,
- Cadets and Cadet Force Adult Volunteers day on Friday 26 June.
More information be found on the flyer.
We also raised The National Armed Forces Day flag at both the Town Hall and York House on Monday 22 June.
There were a number of ways for the public show their support, such as:
- ‘Joining’ a virtual event being arranged for Armed Forces Day.
- Watch, listen or read about our UK Armed Forces and the work they do.
- Share content on #SaluteOurForces.
There is information about events on the Armed forces website.
VE day celebrations – Friday 8 May 2020
- Despite lockdown, VE Day celebrations did take place within the council, this was done online. Videos are still available on the council’s museum YouTube channel. Viewing them is recommended. The link is: https://youtu.be/W6Q-QPeK9n4