Street trading

All streets in the Royal Borough are designated as consent streets.

This means that any person who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a street must first obtain a street trading consent from the council.

However, you do not need street trading consent if you are:

  • Trading as a pedlar under licence issued by a Police authority.
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue.
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals.

If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent. To confirm the situation you are advised to contact the licensing office, using the details below. The landowner may need planning permission and you are advised to contact the council's planning office.

Once you have decided when and where you wish to trade, please download, complete and return the application form below:

Please submit your completed application form with a fee of £3000. There is a £100.00 administration fee if consent is not granted.

You will also need to provide evidence that you have Public Liability Insurance to the value of £5 million. Your business should also be registered with Environmental Health Service and all handlers must have completed a food hygiene and safety course if you wish to sell food. Applications will not be considered without this evidence.

Your application details will be circulated to:

  • Local councillors.
  • The police.
  • Trading standards
  • The highways authority for major roads.
  • Local residents and businesses who may be affected by your application may also be consulted before any street trading consent may be granted.

Consent may not be granted when adverse comments are received from the consulted parties.

Consent will not be granted where there is a risk to road safety or possibility of a nuisance being created.

The council may revoke a street trading consent after it has been granted. This may be for a variety of reasons such as: non-compliance with conditions, non payment or because other agencies such as highways department require access to the trading location. You will be given at least 10 days notice if your consent is revoked.

If your application is refused or revoked you may submit an appeal to the council's appeals panel. Other than judicial review there is no statutory right of appeal against the council's decision.

Licensing : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Licensing Section - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF