Sexual establishment venue licensing

On 7 December 2010 the council resolved to adopt Schedule 3 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, as amended by Section 27 of the Policing and Crime Act 2009, so that the provisions for the control of sexual entertainment venues would apply in this borough. The amended Schedule 3 gives the local authority more powers to control the number and location of lap dancing clubs and similar venues in the area. The new powers took effect on 7 February 2011.

The forms of "relevant" entertainment commonly understood to be connected with sexual entertainment venues are (though this is not a comprehensive list):

  • Lap dancing
  • Pole dancing
  • Table dancing
  • Strip shows
  • Peep shoes
  • Live sex shows

There is an exemption for premises which provide such entertainment less frequently than once a month.

Sexual establishment licensing - Fees

The fee for a new Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence is £5,000.

The fee for renewal of a Sexual Entertainment Venue Licence is £5,000.

Application Process

Apply for a sexual entertainment venue licence

You must submit your completed application and your fee of £5,000 to:

Licensing Team - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall
St Ives Road

Alternatively you can email the application to:

You must submit a copy of your application to the address below within 7 days of submitting the application to the Licensing Team:

Debie Pearmain - Police Licensing Officer
Windsor Police Station
Alma Road

When completing your application, you must also complete the notices below.


Applicants for a sex establishment licence must give public notice of the application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper that is circulated in the local authority area no later than 7 days after the date the application is made:

Notice template

Where the application relates to premises, a notice should also be displayed on or near the premises in a place where it can be conveniently read by members of the public. The notice should be displayed for a period of 21 days beginning with the date the applications was made:

All notices should be in the form prescribed by The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead and identify the premises or, of the application relates to a vehicle, vessel or stall, specify where it will be used as a sex establishment. You must send both Forms of Certification to the Licensing Authority when you submit the application.

Most sexual entertainment venues will require a Premises Licence or Club Premises Certificate granted under the Licensing Act 2003, as well as a sex establishment licence, in order to sell / supply alcohol, provide regulated entertainment, and provide late night refreshment.

Licensing : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Licensing Section - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF