Animal welfare licensing

The following are licensed or registered by the commercial services team:

  • Animal boarding establishments;
  • Dog home boarding and Dog Day Care;
  • Dangerous wild animals;
  • Dog breeding;
  • Pet shops;
  • Riding establishments;
  • Performing animals;
  • Zoos.

Officers inspect the majority of these premises annually, some with an accompanying veterinary surgeon depending on the licence type, to ensure that they comply with licence conditions. Warrants from the court could be applied for to gain access to unlicensed premises.

The licence conditions and standards relate to structure, safety, security, infectious disease control, and the suitability of the licence holder. The aim is to:

  • Ensure minimum standards of welfare for animals.
  • Prevent the spread of disease.
  • Ensure the safety of the public visiting these premises.

Periodic inspections are carried out to confirm standards are maintained, and in response to complaints received. Our advice to anyone using these premises is always:

  • Check they are licensed by the council, and ask to see the current licence.
  • Inspect the premises prior to leaving your pet, buying an animal, or taking a riding lesson.
  • Ensure that riding schools have current public liability insurance.

Information and guidance on the standards required for an Animal Activity Licence may be found in the Procedural Guidance and Sector Guidance documents.

Any complaints in respect of animal cruelty should be directed to the RSPCA.

Details of licenced establishments are maintained on our animal welfare register below.

Licence fees are required on application and in some cases payment of vet’s fees are also required. Licences run for varying amounts of time depending upon the type of establishment. Licence fees will be invoiced following receipt of the application and vet's fees, as necessary, will be recharged to the business following the licence inspection. See our fees and charges page for current costs.

Licences may be refused, cancelled or revoked. The courts may disqualify applicants from holding an animal license for a set period of time if:

  • The applicant is under 18.
  • The applicant has been disqualified from holding an animal license or keeping an animal.
  • Conditions of the licence are not met.

If you would like to apply for an application form or if you have an enquiry or complaint about animal welfare licensing, please contact us using our online form. 

Animal welfare register

These are details of licenced establishments that are maintained on our animal welfare register, last updated Monday 10 June 2024.

Licence type and number Name and address of premises Type and number of animals Star rating
Animal Boarding  : No.001AB Old Beams Kennels and Cattery, Forest Green Road, Holyport, Berks. SL6 2NN 60 dogs and 43 cats 3
Animal Boarding : No.003AB Heathrow Boarding Kennels & Cattery 6-7 Park Lane, Horton, SL3 9PR 36 dogs and 14 cats 3
Animal Boarding : No.004AB Banham Farm Cattery, Banham Farm, Forest Green Road, Fifield, Maidenhead, Berks, SL6 2NR 75 cats 3
Animal Boarding : No.009AB The Tarbay Centre, Tarbay Lane, Oakley Green, Windsor, SL4 4QG 64 dogs and 53 cats 3
Animal Boarding :   
No. 011AB
Little Jem Cattery, 1 Truro Close, Maidenhead, SL6 5JG 12 cats 3
Combined Dog Breeder & Home Boarder : No.002BR/HB Chelsea Chihuahua, Wraysbury For Chihuahuas only only - Breeding maximum 13 Adult Dogs (6 Bitches + 7 resident dogs) + Home Boarding maximum 3 Dogs from same household. No mixing between Breeding and Home Boarding activities.  3
Dog Breeder : No.003BR John Torrid Farm, Beenhams Heath, Shurlock Row, Reading, RG1 0QQ 5 dogs (4 Bitches and 1 Stud) 5

Dog Breeder : No.004BR

Heather Whyte, Eton Wick Whippets 5 Dogs (2 Bitches and 3 resident dogs)  3
Dog Breeder : No.005BR        Sue Hutton, Maidenhead Labrador retriever 8 Dogs ( 4 Bitches + 2 Studs and 2 resident dogs) 4
Dangerous Wild Animals : No.001DW Lakeview Monkey Sanctuary                                    40 monkeys maximum (1 Weeper capuchin, 1 Margarita Capuchin, 1 Grivet monkey, 1 Green Monkey, 3 Hamadryas baboon, 10 Ring tailed lemur, 1 Rhesus long tailed macaque hybrid monkey, 3 Long tailed macaque, 6 Rhesus) N/A
Dangerous Wild Animals : No.002DW2003 Wildway Wildlife Mini Zoo 2 Ring tailed lemur, 2 Caracal N/A
Pet Shop : No.001PS Pets at Home Ltd., Unit 3, Stafferton Way Retail park, Stafferton Way, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 1AY Cavies, Hamsters, Gerbils, Rats. 3
Pet Shop : No.003PS Heathrow Bird Centre, Rosendale Gardens, Staines Road, Wraysbury, TW19 5AG Rabbits, Guinea pigs, Hamsters and small birds 3
Pet Shop : No.004PS Coralz Ltd, Unit 33, Lindores Road, Holyport, SL6 2LU Live Corals 2
Riding Establishment : No.003RE Wayside Stables, 60 Fifield Road, Fifield, Maidenhead SL6 2PG 18 Horses 5
Riding Establishment : No.004RE BCA Riding School, Berkshire College of Agriculture, Hall Place, Burchetts Green, Maidenhead SL6 6QR 23 Horses 5
Riding Establishment : No.008RE Julia Luke, Fifield Polo Club, Oakley Green Road, Fifield, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 4QF 15 Horses maximum 1
Riding Establishment : No.011RE Coworth Park Riding School @ Coworth Park Hotel, Coworth Park, London Road, Sunninghill, Ascot SL5 7SE 17 Horses 5
Riding Establishment : No.014RE Windsor Horse Rangers, Hedgerows, Banham Farm, Forest Green Road, Fifield, Maidenhead, SL6 2NR 22 Horses 3
Riding Establishment : No.015RE Twyford polo, Park Farmhouse, Haines Hill, The Straight Mile, Shurlock Row, Reading, RG10 0NF 7 Horses 5
Riding Establishment : No.016RE The Little Pony Club, Viners, West End Lane, West End, RG10 0NJ 8 Horses 5
Riding Establishment : No.018RE Light Cavalry Honourable Artillery Company, Flemish Farm, Windsor Great Park, Windsor, SL4 2LD 10 Horses 4
Riding Establishment : No.tbcRE Fritazzi Polo, Glebeland Farm, Drift Road, Maidenhead, SL6 3ST 30 Horses 4
Zoo : Exempted Ray Mill Island Aviary, Ray Mill Gardens Off Boulters Lock Island, Maidenhead, SL6 8PE Guinea Pigs and Birds N/A
Zoo : No.001ZO LEGO CITY Deep Sea Adventure, Legoland, Winkfield Road, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 4AY Marine Sea Life N/A
Zoo : No.002ZO BCA Animal Centre, Berkshire College of Agriculture, Hall Place, Burchetts Green, Maidenhead SL6 6QR Small mammals, amphibians, fish, reptiles and birds. N/A
Performing Animal : No.004PA Basil and Crew, Patches Acre, Breadcroft Lane, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3QF 3 Shetland pony, 3 Donkey, 6 Goat, 8 Sheep, 8 Duck, 36 Chicken, 11 Rabbits, 16 Guinea pig. N/A
Performing Animal : No.005PA Casting horses, Oakley Green Road, Fifield, Windsor, SL4 4PZ 6 Horses N/A
Performing Animal : No.006PA Heroes Berkshire, Heroes Farm, Bartletts Lane, Holyport, Maidenhead.SL6 2JD       6 Horse, 3 Goat, 5 Chicken, 12 Duck, 15 Rabbit. N/A
Performing Animal : No.018PA Zoolab South, Little Orchard, Sheephouse Road, Maidenhead, SL6 8ES Corn snake, White tree frog, Gerbil N/A
Performing Animal : No.019PA BCA Willow Farm, Berkshire College of Agriculture, Hall Place, Burchetts Green, Maidenhead SL6 6QR 16 Sheep, 16 Goat, 2 Pig, 4 Duck, 3Turkey, 10 Chicken, 5 Alpaca, 12 Rabbit, 10 Guinea pig, 20 Mice, 10 Rat, 8 Gerbil, 15 Ferret, 2 Hamster, 2 Donkey, 2 Degu, 2 Horse. N/A
Dog Day Care : No.001DC Bruce's Doggy Day Care, Lower Mount Farm, Long Lane, Cookham, Maidenhead, SL6 9EE 86 Dogs 5
Dog Home Boarding  : RBWM/093/2020 Shelley Hayman, Sunninghill 5 Dogs (3 boarding + 2 resident) 2
Dog Home Boarding : No.016HB Speedie Paws, Eton Wick 9 Dogs (6 boarding + 3 resident) 3
Dog Home Boarding : No.001HB Creature Comforts Pet Care, Maidenhead 8 Dogs (6 boarding + 2 resident) 5
Dog Home Boarding  : No.002HB Bertie and Friends, Maidenhead 7 Dogs (6 boarding + 1 resident) 5
Dog Home Boarding : No.003HB Hound Love, Maidenhead 7 Dogs (5 boarding + 2 resident) 5
Dog Home Boarding : No.006HB K9 HFM, Maidenhead 5 Dogs (4 boarding + 1 resident) 3
Dog Home Boarding : No.007HB Pooches "n" PJ's, Maidenhead 6 Dogs (5 boarding + 1 resident) 5
Dog Home Boarding : No.008HB Raffi's Retreat, Maidenhead 7 Dogs (6 boarding + 1 resident) 4
Dog Home Boarding : No.009HB Just Pawz, Ascot 8 Dogs (5 boarding + 1 resident) 2
Dog Home Boarding : No.010HB Bow-Wow's B & B, Maidenhead 5 Dogs (0 resident) 4
Dog Home Boarding : No.011HB Lucie Leads, Maidenhead 5 Dogs (0 resident) 4
Dog Home Boarding : No.012HB Lulu's Home Boarding & Day care, Maidenhead 4 Dogs (3 boarding + 1 resident) 4
Dog Home Boarding : No.013HB Fur B&B, Maidenhead 7 Dogs (6 boarding + 1 resident) 5
Dog Home Boarding : No.014HB Datchet Dog Walking, Datchet 8 Dogs (6 boarding + 2 resident) 3
Dog Home Boarding : No.015HB Celia Pitts, Mucky Paws, Sunninghill 8 Dogs (0 resident) 5
Dog Home Boarding : No.017HB Jo's Canine Capers, Cookham 6 Dogs (5 boarding + 1 resident) 2