Temporary event notice

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) is required for events that include selling alcohol, providing entertainment and serving hot food or drink.

These guidance notes provide further information about TENs including the licensable activities, application process and fee, limitations of use and who can object to a TEN. 

Please ensure you have considered this guidance before making the application.

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

If you wish to hold an event you must give a TEN (Temporary Event Notice) to the relevant licensing authority where the address of the event is located.

  • You must apply at least 10 clear working days before your event. 
  • Clear working days do not include the day RBWM receives your application or the day of the event. 

Failure to submit your notice in time will mean the TEN is invalid and your fee will not be refunded.

Please also note:

  • Your event must involve no more than 499 people, including staff, at any one time
  • Last no more than 168 hours (7 days)
  • You must be 18 years or older to apply for a TEN.
  • Each event will require a separate TEN. The fee of £21 is payable for each TEN given.
  • You can get up to five TENs a year. If you already have a personal licence to sell alcohol, you can be given up to 50 TENs a year.
  • A single premises can have up to 20 TENs applied for in one year, as long as the total length of the events is not more than 26 days.

If you’re organising separate but consecutive events, there must be at least a 24-hour gap between them.

Late Temporary Event Notice

The latest you can apply for a ‘late TEN’ is five clear working days before the event (but not earlier than nine clear working days).

If you do not hold a personal licence, you can serve up to two late TENs per year. If you hold a personal licence, the limit is 10.

Late TENs count towards the total number of permitted TENs.


The council cannot refuse a notice unless the police or environmental health object to it. They must do this within three working days of receiving it.

They can only object if they think your event could:

  • lead to crime and disorder
  • cause a public nuisance
  • be a threat to public safety
  • put children at risk of harm.

If there’s an objection, your council’s licensing committee will hold a meeting (called a ‘hearing’) no later than 24 hours before the event (unless all parties agree that a hearing is not needed).

At the hearing, the committee will either approve, add conditions or reject the notice.

If the police or environmental health object to a late TEN, the notice will not be valid, and you cannot hold the event.


If you disagree with the licensing committee’s decision, you can appeal to your local magistrates’ court. You must do this within 21 days, and at least five working days before the date of your event.

Displaying your notice

  • You must keep your TEN in a safe place where the event is held.
  • You must also display a copy of the notice where it can be easily seen.


Apply and make payment online.

Licensing : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Licensing Section - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF