Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Relief
The government announced that a new Business Rate Relief Scheme for Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Properties would apply for the financial year 2022/23 at 50% up to a cash cap limit of £110,000 per business.
We must make you aware that you do not have to accept the award of this Retail, Hospitality and Leisure Relief. You do have the option to refuse this reduction in your Business Rates Bill.
If you wish to refuse this discount or believe you will exceed the cash caps, you must advise us by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then remove the discount and provide you with an amended bill for you to make payments.
The types of businesses which qualify for the new scheme include those occupied and wholly or mainly being used:
- as shops, restaurants, cafes, drinking establishments, cinemas or live music venues;
- for assembly and leisure; or
- as hotels, guest and boarding premises or self-catering accommodation.
The types of business that Government does not consider to be an eligible use for the purpose of the new scheme include:
- financial services e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, short-term loan providers, betting shops
- medical services e.g. vets, dentists, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors
- professional services e.g. solicitors, accountants, insurance agents/financial advisers, employment agencies, estates agents, letting agents
- post office sorting offices
- premises that are not reasonably accessible to visiting members of the public.
See the government guidance on the new scheme for more information.
State aid / Subsidy information
The business making the application will only be eligible for assistance if it has not exceeded the following 3 subsidy allowances:
- Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance – you’re allowed up to £335,000 (subject to exchange rates) over any period of three years.
- COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance – you’re allowed up to £1,600,000 as part of the Temporary Framework because of COVID19.
- COVID-19 Business Grant Special Allowance - if you have reached your limits under the Small Amounts of Financial Assistance Allowance and COVID-19 Business Grant Allowance, you may be able to access a further allowance of funding under these scheme rules of up to £9,000,000, provided certain conditions are met – see note 1 below.
Grants and relief under these three allowances can be combined for a potential total allowance of up to £10,935,000 (subject to exchange rates).
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that your business does not exceed these allowances by receiving this funding and by completing the required declaration the business accepts that any funding unlawfully claimed or paid in error will be subject to clawback and may result in prosecution.
The amounts are set by BEIS and further information may be found on the Government website: Subsidy allowance.