The borough conducted a full procurement exercise in 2017 to seek a supplier for the new Schools Catering Services Contract. The new contract was award from August 2018 - July 2023 to Caterlink Limited. The borough works in partnership with Caterlink to ensure that pupils and staff receive a healthy and wholesome two-course school lunch in line with the current nutritional and food-based standards.
The school lunch consists of a hot main meal with a vegetarian option, a choice of two vegetables or salad, a carbohydrate item and a dessert of which fresh fruit is a daily option. Chilled drinking water is available free of charge in the dining rooms.
In addition to the school lunch, Caterlink also provides a breakfast and break service for those schools who wish to extend their services for pupils and staff.
For more information please see Caterlink website.
Free school meals
If you are in receipt of any of the benefits listed below, applications for free school meals can be made through your child's school direct.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.
Your child may also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:
- younger than the compulsory age for starting school
- in full-time education
If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on Thursday 31 March 2022.
For more details on free school meals please speak with your childs school direct who will be able to help as each school manage their own arrangements.
If you are interested in working in a school kitchen helping to provide a school meals service to the pupils and teaching staff, please contact the Borough Catering Contractor for details of vacancies.
Operations manager: 07816 450142.