When can I start work?

Table of Contents

Once you have given a Building Notice or submitted a Full Plans application, you can start work 48 hours later, you must give the Local Authority a "Notice of Commencement" two days before doing so. However, if you start work before you receive a decision on your Full Plans application you may not be able to seek a "determination" from the Secretary of State if there is a dispute.

Building Regulation 16 gives full details of the provision of notices.


  1. It is your responsibility to contact the Building Control Surveyor at each of the stages as detailed when the work is ready for inspection. You may either do this yourself or request your builder/agent to do it on your behalf.
  2. Our Building Control Service can easily be contacted for site inspections in any one of the following ways:
    a) Online building inspection request.
    b) Via our administration team during office hours.
    c) By direct dial telephone to the Building Control Surveyor dealing with your project during normal working hours.
  3. Please note: The time periods shown below are the legal requirements. We will, wherever possible, look to better these where it will assist our customers and generally same day visits can be accommodated.

Building Control Service : Contact details

Contacting the building control team

Where available, please provide the following information when contacting us:

- Location of site.
- Contact telephone number.
- Application number.
- The type of inspection required together with preferred date and any detail of booked concrete etc.

For further information, please contact us by:

Building Control Service - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 796915