What is the difference between Planning and Building Control?

Table of Contents

Planning Control and Building Control are two entirely separate pieces of building law, and require separate applications.

The Planning Act deals with the correct use of the land, the appearance of the proposed building and the effect that the development will have on the general environment and neighbouring properties.

Building Regulations deal with the way that the building is constructed e.g. structural stability, fire resistance, weather resistance etc.

Works that require Building Regulation approval include:

  • Erecting or re-erecting a building or part of a building.
  • Extending a building.
  • Carrying out external or internal alterations to a building that affect structural, fire safety and disabled provisions.
  • Converting a roof space.
  • Recovering roofs or re-clad buildings with different materials.
  • Carrying out underpinning.
  • Changing the use of a building or part of a building.
  • Replacing windows and doors.
  • Inserting cavity insulation.
  • Installing unvented hot water systems.

Provision, extension or alteration of:

  • Washing and sanitary facilities and fittings.
  • Sanitary pipework.
  • Foul and rainwater drainage.
  • Sewage treatment plants and hearths.
  • Fuel storage installations.
  • Hot water storage and controls.
  • Electrical installations to dwellings.

The above is for guidance and is not an exhaustive list. Further advice should also be sought from Building.Control@RBWM.gov.uk

Building Control Service : Contact details

Contacting the building control team

Where available, please provide the following information when contacting us:

- Location of site.
- Contact telephone number.
- Application number.
- The type of inspection required together with preferred date and any detail of booked concrete etc.

For further information, please contact us by:

Building Control Service - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 796915