Do you need an HMO licence

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) requires a licence if it fulfils all of the following:

  • It is occupied by five or more persons who consist of two or more households, 
  • Occupants share one or more facility.

A household includes couples, step and foster children and relatives extending to cousins, nephews and nieces.

To determine if you need to apply for an HMO licence begin by asking these questions:

  • Do you let a property to tenants?
  • Do you let to five or more tenants in two or more households?
  • Do the tenants share a toilet, bathroom, living room or kitchen?

If you answered "yes" to all these questions then you are likely to be the landlord of a HMO that needs to be licensed. 

Apply for an HMO

Please contact us using the report form below to discuss your individual situation if you are unsure whether you need a licence.

Please note that even if your property does not need a licence it must still be managed and operated within the requirements of the law.

We do carry out pro-active unannounced visits and respond to complaints to ensure that HMO properties are safe places to live.