If you own or manage a licensable house in multiple occupation (HMO) you will need to complete an application form.
During the application process we will ask the following questions based on the information that you provide:
- Are you a fit and proper person to manage an HMO?
- Are you competent to manage an HMO?
- Is the HMO reasonably suitable for the number of occupiers?
- Does the HMO meet prescribed standards?.
New licence application basic fee for five or more people comprising of two or more households:
- First property (with up to 5 bedrooms): £837.00
- Second and subsequent properties: £770.00
- Additional fee per extra bedroom (after five bedrooms): £27.43
Renewal licence application basic fee for a five bed roomed property:
- Renewal of licence and second and subsequent properties: £770.00
- Additional fee per extra bedroom : £27.43
If your application is incomplete or chase letters need to be sent these will be charged at an hourly rate. This is designed to ensure the fee you pay reflects accurately the cost to administer your licence: £40.64 hourly rate.
Duplicate licence request or request for copies of documents held on file: £11.18.
Please do not send any fees with your application. Once your application has been determined you will be sent a draft copy and an invoice calculated on the information above. Once you have paid the invoice the final copy of the notice will be issued.
In addition to a completed application form you will need to provide:
- A copy of the most recent gas safety certificate.
- A copy of an up to date electrical safety certificate.
- Test reports relating to fire detection and emergency lighting.
- A plan of the property showing room sizes and facilities.
- A copy of a current tenancy agreement.
Once your application has been determined you will be sent a draft copy and an invoice.
Please check the draft licence carefully. If you are happy with it please confirm this and send in the licence fee within 21 days.
Once you have paid the invoice the final copy of the notice will be issued.
(prices correct as of April 2021)