Disabled facility grant (DFG)

Local authorities are provided with funding from central government to assist eligible residents for adaptations to their home. These grants are provided under the Housing Grants, Construction and Regeneration Act 1996.

The grant is means tested, which could be used to fund major adaptations which could include but not be exclusive to:

  • adapting an existing bathroom,
  • installing a stair lift,
  • converting a downstairs room to a toilet or bathroom,
  • Installing ceiling track hoist
  • Installing through floor lifts, outdoor lifts and
  • Automatic door opening systems

There are four tests which are carried out before a grant is agreed:

  1. Necessary and appropriate - Undertaken by an Occupational Therapist. An Occupational Therapist will arrange a visit for an assessment.  This will include identification of individual needs and considering ways in which your needs can be met, such as the provision of equipment. If your needs cannot be met through minor adaptations or alternative techniques, the case may then be presented to a panel where it is decided if a disabled facility grant is the most suitable option.
  2. Reasonable and practicable - Undertaken by the local housing authority i.e. Residential Services. When deciding whether proposed alterations are reasonable and practicable, having regard to the age and condition of the building. The Royal Borough will also consider things such as the effect on other residents, the practicalities of carrying out work on properties with limited access, conservation considerations, and the structural characteristics of the property. Consideration will also be given to whether it would be more reasonable to move a person to another property rather than fund the alterations which have been requested.

Who can apply

You can apply for a grant if the following criteria is met:

  • You are a registered resident within the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead,
  • You or someone living in your property is disabled and you are the owner occupier, a tenant (private or housing association) or landlord of the property,
  • If you are a tenant in rented accommodation you can either apply for the grant yourself or your landlord can apply on your behalf but we can only agree to a grant with the landlord's permission and
  • Have an assessed long term need that cannot be met by any other means.

How much is a Disabled Facility Grant

The maximum amount for a grant is £30,000. Dependant on the works required.

The amount you receive depends on your own individual circumstances.  For an adult, the disabled person and their partner will be means tested. This takes into account your savings and income.

For families with a disabled child under 19 years the grant is not means tested.

Associated conditions

You will be asked to complete a tenant or owner certificate which states that you intend to live in the property for at least five years after the work has been completed. If you are a tenant the owner of the property needs to consent to the works being completed.  

The provision of any mechanical related works (i.e. door opening systems, stair lifts, hoists etc.) would include a five year warranty, If issues arises the resident needs to liaise directly with the company whom supplied the works.  After five years the resident remains responsible for the maintenance of the works.

How to apply

Before you can apply for a grant your needs must be assessed by an Occupational Therapist (OT). If you would like more information please contact the OT using the most suitable method below.

If the application is for a young person under the age of 18, or between the ages of 18 and 25 with an Education, Health and Care plan, please contact Achieving for Children to provide details and request an assessment of need.

Telephone:    01628 683150
Email:             MASH@achievingforchildren.org.uk
Website:         https://rbwm.afcinfo.org.uk

If the application is for an adult, please contact Optalis via the first contact and duty team to provide details and request an assessment of need.

Telephone:    01628 683744
Email: access.services@rbwm.gov.uk

For further general information, please see the government's website.