Homelessness - Applying for housing

If you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless within the next 56 days you may be entitled to emergency temporary accommodation.

Prevention duty

If we have reason to believe that you are threatened with homelessness and are eligible for assistance, we must take 'reasonable steps' with reference to your assessment, to help you avoid becoming homeless. 

Once triggered, the prevention duty will continue for 56 days (or longer if a valid section 21 notice has expired and no alternative accommodation has been secured), unless it is brought to an end via one of the prescribed conditions. You will have a right to request a review of a decision to end this duty. 

Relief duty

If you are already homeless when you approach for assistance, we must take 'reasonable steps' with reference to your assessment, to help you to secure accommodation for at least six months unless we decide to refer you to another local authority due to having ‘No local connection’ to the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead.  

Interim accommodation duties owed to people under the existing provisions (section 188) continue to apply during this stage, the duty to provide accommodation to people who we have reason to believe may be homeless, eligible for assistance and in priority need,  pending a decision on whether the council is obliged to provide some form of longer term settled accommodation.

Are you threatened with homelessness?

The Council may be able to help you if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness. If you are worried that you may be evicted, or if you're currently homeless, then contact the Housing Options Team as soon as possible. 

To ensure the safety of our customers and staff, the offices at the Town Hall are currently closed. If you are homeless or if you think you are likely to become homeless in the next 56 days then the Council’s dedicated Housing Options Service will provide you with advice and assistance. 

How do I get in touch with the team? 

You will need to register on the website if you have not done so already, and then you will be given the option to register as homeless. 

Register here

To register, you will need a valid personal email address. If you have already registered on the website to be on the Council’s Housing Register, then you do not need to register again. You can log in using your current information. Once you confirm your email address, you will be redirected to a page where you have the options to ‘register as homeless’ or ‘register for social housing’.

You will need to select ‘register as homeless’. You will then be directed through a selection of questions. Once you have completed these, your referral will be sent through to the Housing Options Team who will contact you regarding your situation. 

I don’t have a computer, what do I do?

The above link is designed to work on your mobile phone. If you’re reading this on a mobile, you can click on the link and it will work. If you do not have access to a mobile phone or tablet then you can contact the duty telephone number: 01628 683803. 

How will I be contacted?

The Housing Options Team will contact you as soon as they can and will prioritise households who have nowhere to stay or who are due to lose their accommodation in the coming days. The team will also prioritise those who are experiencing or who are at risk of domestic abuse. 

The Housing Options Team will contact you by telephone. You will need to make sure that you provide contact information that the Housing Options Team can contact you on. If the team cannot reach you on first attempt, they will continue to try to contact you for five working days, however if they cannot contact you, they may close your approach. 

What help can the Council provide?

The Housing Options Team will work with you to prevent you from becoming homeless. This will mean discussing your housing situation with whoever is excluding you to try and come to an agreement to prevent your eviction. If your eviction cannot be prevented, then the team will work to help you into alternative accommodation this will primarily be private rented accommodation. 

The Council does not fast track people into social housing through a homeless application; the focus is on preventing a crisis. The focus of the team is to prevent homelessness.

Housing team : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Housing Options Service
Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1QU
Telephone: 01628 683803