Student discount

You may be entitled to a council tax reduction if you meet the criteria below.

Students, student nurses and foreign language assistants are not counted as being resident in the property for the purpose of calculating the amount of council tax payable.

To qualify as a student for council tax purposes, you must be:

  • Attending a University, Polytechnic or College course for at least 24 weeks per year and studying at least 21 hours per week during term-time, or
  • under 20 years of age, studying a minimum of three months for at Least 12 hours per week, for a qualification up to "A" Level, ONC or OND standard, or
  • a student nurse, or
  • a foreign language assistant registered with the Central Bureau for educational visits.

Your student certificate will be required along with the application form.