Disabled person

If your property is the main residence of someone who is substantially and permanently disabled, you may be able to claim a reduction on your council tax bill. The person who is liable to pay the council tax does not have to be the person who is disabled, but the liable person must make the application.

If you would like to apply, please click ‘Apply’ below to open an application form which will ask you for the information we need.

We will then contact you to arrange a visit to your property before deciding whether you are entitled to the reduction. At this stage we don’t normally ask for letters from a doctor or other professional such as an occupational therapist or social worker, this is because we can sometimes make a decision based on your application and on the visit by our inspector. This means you can get your application in now and only need to provide a letter if we ask after our visit.

If you qualify you will be charged council tax at the band below the one your property is in. For example, if the property is in Band C, the reduction will mean council tax is charged at the Band B rate. If your property is in Band A, then any reduction given will mean the property will be charged at five sixths of the Band A charge.

If we decide you are not entitled, we will write to you and explain why and advise you of your appeal rights.