Carer - council tax discount

A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults being resident in a property.

Some people are not counted - they are 'disregarded'.

You may be able to get a 'disregard' discount if all of the residents but one are disregarded, or you are the only resident and are disregarded.

There is a separate application for each type of disregarded person and this page deals with carers.

You may be entitled to a council tax reduction if you meet the criteria below.

All of the following conditions must be met:

  • The person must be providing care for someone other than their partner or child under 18; and they must be providing care to a person who is entitled to:
    • higher rate attendance allowance; or
    • the highest rate or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance; or
    • the standard or enhanced rate of Personal Independence Allowance (PIP).
  • they must reside in the same premises as the person being cared for; and 
  • they must provide care for an average of at least 35 hours a week.

Proof of the allowance (e.g. notice of entitlement) will be required along with the application form.