A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults being resident in a property.
Some people are not counted - they are 'disregarded'.
You may be able to get a 'disregard' discount if all of the residents but one are disregarded, or you are the only resident and are disregarded.
There is a separate application for each type of disregarded person and this page deals with carers.
You may be entitled to a council tax reduction if you meet the criteria below.
All of the following conditions must be met:
- The person must be providing care for someone other than their partner or child under 18; and they must be providing care to a person who is entitled to:
- higher rate attendance allowance; or
- the highest rate or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance; or
- the standard or enhanced rate of Personal Independence Allowance (PIP).
- they must reside in the same premises as the person being cared for; and
- they must provide care for an average of at least 35 hours a week.
Proof of the allowance (e.g. notice of entitlement) will be required along with the application form.