18 and 19 year olds at or left school

A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults being resident in a property.

Some people are not counted - they are 'disregarded'.

You may be able to get a 'disregard' discount if all of the residents but one are disregarded, or you are the only resident and are disregarded.

There is a separate application for each type of disregarded person and this page deals with school and college leavers 

You may be entitled to a council tax reduction if you meet the criteria below.

A school leaver is: 

  • Under 20 years old, and
  • At school or in further education (which means courses up to A Level or BTEC ONC / OND standard).

The school or college course must fulfil all the following conditions: 

  • Lasting more than three months, 
  • Involving more than 12 hours a week tuition or supervised study. Normally carried out between 8am and 5.30pm,
  • Not a correspondence course, and
  • Not related to the person’s employment (e.g. day release).

Where an 18 or 19-year-old leaves school or college after 30 April, the discount disregard can be claimed up to 1 November of that year. 

Please provide entitlement letter/bank statements as proof child benefit is being paid.