A full council tax bill is based on at least two adults being resident in a property.
Some people are not counted - they are 'disregarded'.
You may be able to get a 'disregard' discount if all of the residents but one are disregarded, or you are the only resident and are disregarded.
There is a separate application for each type of disregarded person and this page deals with school and college leavers
You may be entitled to a council tax reduction if you meet the criteria below.
A school leaver is:
- Under 20 years old, and
- At school or in further education (which means courses up to A Level or BTEC ONC / OND standard).
The school or college course must fulfil all the following conditions:
- Lasting more than three months,
- Involving more than 12 hours a week tuition or supervised study. Normally carried out between 8am and 5.30pm,
- Not a correspondence course, and
- Not related to the person’s employment (e.g. day release).
Where an 18 or 19-year-old leaves school or college after 30 April, the discount disregard can be claimed up to 1 November of that year.
Please provide entitlement letter/bank statements as proof child benefit is being paid.