Who we are
The Register Office
St Ives Road
Tel 01628 796422
Lawful basis for processing the information
General Data Protection Regulation 2016 – Article 6(1)(e) processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
General Data Protection Regulation Article 6(1)(c) legal obligation.
How we collect information
Personal information may be collected from service users, in person, via telephone call, electronic means (email), by post or completion of a Certificate Application Form.
Categories of information
Personal information is collected to process a query or request for a registration certificate, which includes, name, address, email address, date of birth, occupation and proof of identity.
How we use your personal information
The personal information we hold about you is used for the following purposes:
- statutory registration of births, deaths, stillbirths, marriages and civil partnerships
- display of notices of the intention to marry/form a civil partnership
- correcting information contained in a register entry
- provision of certified copies of register entries
- updating district and borough electoral roll and council tax records
- detection and prevention of crime including immigration offences
- safeguarding of vulnerable adults and children
- updating government pension scheme records
- releasing bodies for burial or cremation
- statistical analysis
- booking and administering registration service appointments
- booking and administering ceremonies
- provision of citizenship ceremonies
- administration of 'Tell Us Once' accounts including extraction and sharing of personal data with authorised local government departments.
Who has access to your personal information
Registration officers; the Registrar General for England and Wales.
A copy of any register entry will be provided by this office in accordance with the law to any applicant, provided they supply enough information to identify the entry concerned and pay the appropriate fee.
The copy may only be issued in the form of a paper certified copy (a 'certificate'). An application for a certificate may also be made to the General Register Office.
Who we may share your information with
Registration information may be shared with other organisations in the course of carrying out our functions or to enable third parties to perform their duties.
We may share your personal information where there is a lawful basis to do so, including for the following reasons:
- Statistical or research purposes
- Administrative purposes by official bodies e.g. ensuring their records are up-to-date in order to provide services to the public
- Fraud prevention or detection, immigration and passport purposes.
How long we store your information
Your personal information is stored for as long as required in line with the applicable law, for example;
- Registration information is retained indefinitely as required by law.
- Appointment information is retained for one year.
- Certificate application information is retained for two years.
Does your service utilise automated decision making? – No