Councillors' code of conduct : Make a complaint

Every local authority is required under the Localism Act 2011 to adopt a Code of Conduct that sets out rules governing the behaviour of its councillors. All elected, co-opted and independent Members of local authorities, including parish councils, are covered by the Code.

The monitoring officer is responsible for considering complaints that a councillor may have breached the code of conduct for councillors.

The complaint must be about conduct that occurred while the Member complained about was in office. Conduct of an individual before they were elected, co-opted or appointed to the authority, or after they have resigned or otherwise ceased to be a Member, cannot be considered by the monitoring officer.

The complaint must be about one or more named Members of the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead or our Parish Councils.  

The complaint must be made in writing. If a disability prevents a person from making a complaint in writing, they may contact the monitoring officer for assistance.  The complaint should be as detailed as possible and should be substantiated where possible. Please use the code of conduct complaints form to make your complaint, after reading our guidance notes on making a complaint about a councillor’s conduct.  

When a complaint is received, the monitoring officer will make a decision in accordance with the complaints process, in consultation with the Independent Person, as appropriate. If the monitoring officer feels that it is inappropriate to take a decision on a complaint, the matter will be delegated to a nominee.

Democratic services : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Democratic Services - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF

Telephone: 01628 796560