How to licence a premises for a ceremony

Table of Contents

The licence applies to specific locations within named premises and is not transferable.

It specifies individual and identifiable room/s (and if requested, an outdoor area) for the purpose of ceremonies where civil marriages may be solemnised and civil partnerships may be formed.

Only rooms/areas specified in the licence can be used for this purpose.

There is no limit to the number of rooms that may be specified. We recommend that all potential rooms are included in your application, as rooms added at a later date will incur a further charge. A licence normally runs for three years less one day from the date of issue and will terminate at the end of that period unless renewed or revoked. You will receive a reminder in writing advising that your licence is due to expire, 12 months prior to the date of expiry. The renewal process is the same as the initial application, the same procedures will need to be carried out.

Applications must be made by the proprietor or a trustee of premises. When made on behalf of a limited company there should be a separate statement of the names and addresses of all the directors.

An approved venue for the purpose of marriage and civil partnership must be a permanent immovable structure comprising of at least one room, or any boat or other vessel that is permanently moored (known as the “built premises”). Marriages or civil partnerships can take place outdoors, but this must be within the grounds of the premises (known as “the linked outdoor area”) and the linked outdoor area must be specified on the licence.

You cannot get a licence for :

  • A private garden.
  • Your house unless it is made available for the public to use during the term of the three year licence and a "change of use certificate" has been granted from your local planning department.
  • A 'one-off' ceremony.


If you wish to find out more information or request an application form, please email us on

Registrars : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Registrars - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF
Telephone: 01628 796422