House to house and street collections

House to House collections for charitable purposes are regulated by the Royal Borough under the House to House Collections Act 1939 and the House to House Regulations 1947. The Act prohibits the making of house to house collections except under licence from the Royal Borough.

The Permit allows charitable organisations to go from house to house collecting money and other items. The Secretary of State also has the power to grant orders for exemptions for house to house collections in respect of a substantial part of England and Wales, for example collections by Christian Aid, Help the Aged etc. If the charity holds a Home Office Exemption Certificate they do not require a licence from the Council but should inform the Council in writing when they intend to carry out a collection to avoid clashes with other charities.

How to apply for a permit

Applications will be considered in order of receipt but not more than 12 months before the proposed collection date. Priority is given to fixed annual collections.

Please submit a completed application form to the Licensing Section, giving a second optional date that you would wish to collect on.  Should the date you wish to collect on is not available then you will be contacted by Licensing. There is no fee for these permits. The application will then be considered under the guidelines laid down in the council's policy and if successful a permit will be issued.

  • Application Form for a House to House or Street Collection Permit
  • Regulations - House to House Collections

Street collections

Charitable street collections are regulated by the Royal Borough under the Police, Factories, etc (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1916. Anyone wishing to collect money or sell articles in a street or public place must first have a street collection permit from the council. A permit is also required even if you intend to stand in a shop doorway. Permits are not, however, required for collections within shops.

Permits to collect in this way are in great demand and if the numbers were not controlled, there would be a danger that shoppers would resent being approached every time they visited the town centres. Also, controlling street collections allows as many different organisations the chance to raise funds in this way. The  council's regulations on street collections can be obtained by clicking on the link below.

The collection organiser must submit a return to the Licensing Section giving particulars of how much was collected and how the proceeds were distribute.

  • Application Form for a House to House or Street Collection Permit
  • Regulations - Street Collections

Document downloads

House to house and street collections

Document name Type Size
Regulations - House to House Collections pdf 78.8 KB
Regulations - Street Collections pdf 70.95 KB

Licensing : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Licensing Section - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF