Gambling Act 2005 licences

Table of Contents

From 1 September 2007 the Gambling Act 2005 replaced the previous regime for the regulation of gambling. Before this date, gambling had been regulated by the following legislation:

  • The Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act 1963;
  • The Gaming Act 1968;
  • The Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976.

The Gambling Act 2005 has three main objectives which are:

  • preventing gambling from being a source of crime or disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime;
  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way; and
  • protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

The Royal Borough is responsible for licensing premises where gambling takes place and for gaming machines on premises which are already licensed for alcohol. If you require a personal licence or an operator's licence under the Gambling Act 2005, you should contact the Gambling Commission.

If you wish to make an application to the Royal Borough then the necessary forms are all available below. In addition, there is a note containing information for clubs and pubs on changes in gambling licensing under the Gambling Act 2005 which affects those businesses.

If you are making a new application for a premises' licence then the list of those you need to consult is given below.

The Act requires the Council to prepare a Statement of Licensing Principles in respect of its position in relation to its duties under the Act. 

This Statement came into force on Monday 31 January 2022. 

Additional content block


We are accepting applications for licences under the Gambling Act 2005.

Please read the Applicant Guidance before completing the forms.

The forms listed below can all be found on the Gambling Commission website.

  • Application for a Premises Licence - Standard form
  • Application for a Premises Licence - Transitional Conversion
  • Application for a Premises Licence - Transitional Conversion - Vessel
  • Application for a Premises licence - Vessel
  • Application for club gaming permit or club machine permit
  • Application for the Conversion or new grant/change of name of a prize gaming permit
  • Application for the conversion or new grant/change of name of and unlicensed family entertainment centre gaming permit
  • Application for the Reinstatement of a Premises licence
  • Application form - Notification of 2 machines or less
  • Application to Vary a Premises licence
  • Notice for premises licence
  • Notice to provisional statement
  • Notice to responsible authorities for provisional statement
  • Notice to responsible authority for premises licence
  • Provisional statement form

Licensing : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Licensing Section - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road
Maidenhead SL6 1RF