Guidance on organising a Coronation Street Party celebration

Table of Contents

You need to ensure that you have consulted with all the residents of the road, and you have gained their agreement for the street party to go ahead.

If you are planning a street party on the public highway you must apply to the council for a temporary road closure.


You are strongly advised to do a risk assessment for your event, so you are well prepared for any possible eventuality.

Applications and approval

We can only consider the applications in the order they are submitted; therefore, you are strongly advised to apply as early as possible to avoid any disappointment.

Please check that the date of your street party doesn’t clash with any other events in your area.

  • Let the council know early about your plans and we will be able to advise you.
  • If permission has been granted to an event nearby or on your diversion route you will be asked to either move the date of the road closure or liaise with the street party organiser already approved to create a joint event.
  • If two or more events are held at the same time in a local area, they can cause traffic problems so it’s a good idea to plan ahead and check with us or
  • If all the required documents are acceptable and meet our requirement you will be sent an email confirming the approval. If the application is in-complete we will notify you and ask that the new application is submitted addressing the points/queries raised.

If you want to contact us to talk through your plans and obtain guidance on the process so that you can enjoy your event, knowing that it meets all the legal requirements. Please email

Street Party road closure considerations

  • We are unable to close classified roads (those with a single letter, which represents the road's category and a subsequent number) or roads that are part of a bus route or multiple roads. In this case you will have to apply for a Road Closure for an Event and cover all associated costs including advertising.
  • A temporary closure means that all vehicles are kept out, but the road is open to pedestrians and vehicles parked within the closure section can remain there legally.

 If you need further information, please email:

Additional content block

Emergency Services

The council will liaise with the emergency services on your behalf. There will be numerous different types of celebrations in May, so early notice of your event is essential to enable the emergency services to plan ahead.

Please note: that you will have to provide access for emergency services so when planning your event, you have to consider how this will be done should it be required.

The council doesn’t usually encourage events on the public highway, but His Majesty’s Coronation is a very special national occasion, and we want to help everyone celebrate.

Safety is our prime concern, and we will do our very best to advise you so that your party can go ahead.

Highways team : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Highways Team - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road,
Maidenhead SL6 1RF