Final reminder to register for General Election

This image shows a ballot paper. Getting ready for the General Election.

The Royal Borough is giving a final reminder to voters who are not currently on the electoral register to ensure you sign up by 11.59pm on Tuesday 18 June to participate in the General Election on Thursday 4 July.

You only have to register if you have never registered before, or have recently moved, or changed your name. Registering is easiest online at If you have already registered, look out for your polling card in the post in the coming days. 

Check out the lists of confirmed candidates for the Windsor constituency and Maidenhead constituency on this webpage.

The deadline for receiving new postal vote and postal proxy applications, or amending existing postal or proxy applications, is 5pm on Wednesday 19 June. And the deadline for receiving new applications to vote by proxy (not postal proxy or emergency proxies) is 5pm on Wednesday 26 June.

You now have the additional option to apply online to vote by post or proxy at You will also need to prove your identity when applying to vote by post and proxy, by providing your National Insurance number (or a reason why one cannot be provided along with additional documentary evidence).

If you had a postal vote in place by Monday 3 June, your pack should be in the initial batch of postal ballots posted out on Tuesday 18 June. If you applied to vote by post after Monday 3 June or your application was not approved by this date, your postal ballot will be sent out between Saturday 22 June and Thursday 27 June.

If you choose to vote in person on the day, by law you will need to bring along and show accepted photo ID in order to vote at a polling station. If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, you can apply by 5pm on Wednesday 26 June for a free Voter Authority Certificate. Visit or call 0800 328 0280 to apply and check the full list of accepted forms of ID.

A wide range of photo ID are accepted including a UK, European Economic Area (EEA) or Commonwealth passport; a UK or EEA driver’s licence; and some concessionary travel passes, such as an older person’s bus pass or an Oyster 60+ card. You will be able to use expired ID if you are still recognisable from the photo. The Resident Advantage Card is not an accepted form of ID for voting.

Paper copies of application forms can still be requested by contacting the local Elections Helpline via 01628 683868 or For more information about eligibility to vote, visit