There are different categories of governor:
- Parent Governors: elected by parents of pupils at the school.
- Staff Governors: elected by staff at the school.
- Local Authority Governors: appointed by the Royal Borough.
- Foundation Governors: usually appointed by the diocese (in Church schools only).
- Co-opted Governors: elected by other members of the governing body.
- Head Teacher: automatic membership.
In some schools there are additional Associate Governors:
In addition, schools may choose to appoint associate members to bring a particular expertise. They are not governors but may be members of committees and attend governing body meetings.