Housing assistance grants

Small grants of up to £2,000 are available to help homeowners carry out minor works or adaptations where defects in your property constitute serious hazards to health (based on the Housing Health and Safety Rating System).

Applicants must be in receipt of an income-based benefit:

  • Income support.
  • Guaranteed pension credit (not savings credit alone).
  • Housing benefit. 
  • Universal credit.
  • Working tax credit (where your annual income for purposes of tax credits assessments is below £15,050).
  • Income based jobseeker's allowance (not contribution bases JSA).

Preference will be given to home owners who are over 60 and have owned their home for longer than three years.

Items of work that could be covered include:

  • Minor roof repair.
  • Boiler repair (not a new boiler).
  • Electrical faults (not a full rewire).
  • Lifeline alarms.
  • Key safes.
  • Minor adaptations.

For any electrical faults, a current Domestic Electrical Installation Condition Report will be required with the application form. The contractor who produces the report and undertakes the work must be a member of a competent person scheme.

To apply for a lifeline alarm or key safe then please contact Home Assistance on 01628 543101 who will guide you through the process. You are not required to own your own home or be over 60 to be eligible for these.

Apply for a grant