Community Governance Reviews cover the following topics:
- Creating, merging, altering or removing parishes;
- The naming of parishes and the style of new parishes;
- The electoral arrangements for parishes (creating a council, the number of councillors to be elected to a council, and parish warding);
- Consequential matters (the knock-on effects on borough wards, dealing with fixed and monetary assets, resolving issues relating to employees of the existing parishes, and setting a precept for a new parish).
To initiate a review the council would need to receive a valid petition which calls for considerations to be made to a parish area. The petition has to be signed by a specific number of electors within the area being considered for the review. A review can also be started where the council decides to undertake one without needing to receive a petition. Community Governance Reviews are undertaken in accordance with the Local Government and Public Involvement in Health Act 2007.
Windsor Town Council
At a meeting of Full Council on Tuesday 28 July 2020, the Royal Borough committed to undertake a community governance review examining the issue of whether a new town council for the currently unparished parts of Windsor should be formed.
The Terms of Reference outlines how the review will be run and how electors can contribute to the decision-making process.
A timetable for the review is set out below:
|Publication of the Terms of Reference||28 July 2020||-|
|Consultation 1 on Terms of Reference||28 July - 28 October 2020||3 Months|
|Initial meeting(s) of the CGRWG||July/August 2020||As required|
|CGRWG consideration of representations received||28 October 2020 - 26 January 2021||3 Months|
Stage 1 Consultation (July - October 2020)
We are interested in hearing views on the following:
- What is the appetite for creating a new town council for Windsor? Is a parish council needed or desired?
- Is there a sense of community identity in the review area and should this community be represented by its own parish council?
- How could a new parish council take shape?
- Should a new parish council be warded to reflect the communities that exist in the review area? If so, how should these boundaries be drawn?
See information about the role of a parish council.
The Stage 1 Consultation closed on Wednesday 28 October 2020.
The representations received can be viewed below by category of respondent:
|Publication of the Draft Recommendations||26 January 2021||-|
|Consultation 2 on Draft Recommendation||26 January - 27 April 2021||3 Months|
|CGRWG consideration of representations received||27 April - 27 June 2021||3 Months|
|Publication of the Final Recommendations||July 2021||-|
|Reorganisation Order made (if applicable)||By December 2021||-|
|Elections to Windsor Town Council (if applicable)||4 May 2023||-|