Apply for a temporary road closure

Table of Contents

  • You will need to apply with a minimum of 10 weeks prior to your request, to give us time to meet legal requirements.
  • The closing date for all applications is 4pm on Friday 17 February 2023.
  • Applicants who submit their application on the last few days leading to the cut of date, will be notified individually on whether their application will be considered.
  • Applications received after the closing date won’t be considered.

Additional content block


If you are planning an event, it will be your responsibility to ensure that you have compliant signage to facilitate the road closure and diversions. We are unable to provide/lend/hire out any signage for the event.

Other requirements:

  • You will need to provide a clear plan showing the extent of the proposed road closure and diversion for through traffic. If your road is a cul-de-sac or dead-end road you don’t have to provide the diversion signage, however, you will still have to have the road closure signage in place.

    See these examples: Street party road closure signage example and Street party traffic management drawing example
  • The event organiser is responsible for providing, putting up and removing all legally required signage. There are local companies which can make the necessary temporary signs for a closure and diversion route, or you can print your own from downloadable templates, but only if they are to be used in daylight.
  • Signage will need to be compliant with Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 – signage type and size required as per the example attachments above.
  • On through routes, signs giving advance warning of the event and associated road closure need to be displayed ten days before the event. This can be in the form of correx signs stating, “Road closed here for event – date and times”, placed at each one of the closure points.

Event plan

As part of your application, you will need to submit an Event Plan. Your plan should contain the following information:

  • Confirmation that you have an approval from all residents in the road and they have been notified of the proposals to close the road
  • Whether you will have someone monitoring the closure should emergency vehicle need to get through or how emergency access will be provided.
  • A map of event set up: location of the tables, games area etc.
  • Confirmation that the road closure signage Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016 – this relates to the confirmation of whether you are having the signage printed or hired.
  • A plan /map showing where the road closure signage is to be positioned.
  • A plan showing your designated diversion route which will have to be signed, where the diversion signage is to be positioned and when will they be put out.
  • A plan showing where the advance signage to be located, this should also include please confirm what the signs will look like and the wording to be used.
  • Provide a breakdown of the event, including timeline for the day (signage out, set up, event, clear up, signage removed).

See our example event plan

Public liability insurance

For the duration of the road closure the council is handing over the responsibility for the public highway to you and your fellow organisers.

Therefore, it is advisable for you to obtain Public Liability Insurance cover. This can usually be purchased for a premium of around £75 from a reputable insurance broker.

You don’t have to obtain the insurance if you understand that all liability will be on you as an event organiser.

There are companies offering specific Street Party insurance.

Highways team : Contact details

For further information, please contact us by:

Highways Team - Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
Town Hall, St Ives Road,
Maidenhead SL6 1RF