We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Respite Care for Adults

What is Respite Care for Adults?

Respite Care, sometimes called a short break service, is a service to support carers enabling you to take an essential break from your caring role. The break can be for a few hours, an overnight stay or several days. The care service is provided directly to the person that is cared for and may be a single service or part of package of support services.

Respite care is not: the provision of a holiday for a cared-for person or a service to cover a time when you are not available because of your own personal needs e.g. other family commitments, being unable to care due to your own health care needs or employment.

Where will the Respite Care be provided?

It can be provided in a number of settings e.g.

  • in the home of the person you care for
  • in alternative housing where the care can be provided on site
  • in a residential care setting

Who is eligible for Respite Care?

The person in need of care and support must:

  • meet current critical or substantial FACS eligibility criteria (substantial or critical)
  • have been financially assessed
  • be allocated a personal budget

The person and their carer must:

  • live together except in exceptional circumstances

The carer must:

  • have had a carer's assessment
  • be providing regular and substantial care
  • care for someone who lives at home in RBWM

How do you get a respite care service through Adult Services?

Adult Services will identify your needs when an assessment is made of the person who is being cared for. You may also be referred by a GP, nurse, relative or you can refer yourself.

It is important that an assessment is carried out to identify your needs, including the need for a break service. It is also important to get the agreement of the person you are caring for to accept the respite services that will support your break.

If a need for a break is identified the person being cared for will receive a personal budget to purchase the service and which will give you greater choice and control over the service. Respite can be arranged by Adult Services on your behalf, or you or the person being cared for are paid a direct payment, that is, cash, to arrange your own services if you are willing and able to do so.

For more information on personal budgets see our My Care, My Choice webpages or the leaflet called A Guide to Self-Directed Support.

Respite care dates should be planned in advance.

Who pays and how much?

Everyone, including people who fund theor own care, who receives respite as part of their personal budget, receive it at a standard subsidised rate shown below:

  • People with learning disabilities - £150 per night, £1050 per week
  • Older people and all other services - £67 per night, £469 per week

In order to obtain a personal budget the person being cared for will receive a financial assessment that will determine how much they will pay towards their services. The financial assessment is carried out in accordance with Fair Access to Care Services.

The total annual cost of planned respite care and any other services (where applicable) make up the personal budget amount. People who contribute to their care pay their contribution over 52 weeks. If respite is their only service, people who fund their own care will receive an invoice for each period of respite that they receive.

Up to 28 days' (4 weeks) respite care in a year, can be provided as part of a personal budget. The assessment will identify the number of days of respite that will be provided during the year. Charges for respite care for more than 4 weeks in a year will be individually assessed under the Department of Health's guidance on 'Charging for Residential Accommodation Guide'.

The start of a respite-only personal budget and contribution is from the date the Personal Budget Agreement is signed by the person being cared for or their representative. No respite services can take place until the Personal Budget Agreement is signed.

Will my direct payment cover the cost of my respite?

If you choose to receive a direct payment so you can arrange your own respite services we will discuss your services and their costs with you when you are planning your support. When your support plan is agreed with us we will pay you a sum that, together with your assessed financial contribution, will cover the cost of your chosen respite.

Is there a choice about how and where respite care is provided?

Respite care will be provided by the best resource to meet the needs of the person you care for. Depending on the level of care needed this is usually in the cared for person's own home, as long as it does not affect your ability to have a break.
Where needs can only be met by providing respite care in another setting, a choice is usually offered depending on the availability of suitably priced accommodation.

Can respite be provided at short notice?

RBWM's respite facilities are limited. Demand is high, so it is highly recommended to book respite dates as far in advance as possible and before you book flights, holidays or occasions.

  • Planned respite dates can be booked up to one year in advance, when you are planning your care.
  • It is recommended that at least three months' notice is given for the requested date to be fulfilled.
  • If less than three months' notice is given it is less likely that the requested dates can be fulfilled.
  • Regrettably, if the requested dates cannot be fulfilled you will be asked to provide alternative dates.

In an emergency or crisis situation short-term care can be arranged where this is the most appropriate way to meet the assessed need e.g. if you are suddenly admitted to hospital leaving the person you care for without a carer. Please note, this is not respite because you are not getting a break from your caring role.

Contact details

If you do not have an allocated care manager you should contact the Advice and Information Team. on Tel: 01628 683744. We will record all your information and pass this to the appropriate operational team who will then contact you to arrange an assessment.

Alternatively, if you would like us to contact you by phone or email, please complete the details in the Social Services Contact Us/Self Referral Online Form and someone will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

If you would like to notify us of any change of circumstances, please complete the on-line Social Services Change of Details Form.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2014-01-29
Published: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:57:37
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: Allison.Helyer
RDCMS ID: 6819