We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Domiciliary Care (Home Care)

Following an assessment of your individual needs by a social worker, care in your own home is offered to assist you with daily living tasks which, due to illness, deteriorating abilities or frailty, you now find difficult to complete or are unable to do at all.

These tasks include intimate personal care such as washing, dressing and toileting, assistance with the taking of medication, shopping and domestic chores. Assistance can also be given with managing your finances if necessary.

The home care staff will encourage you to reach your highest level of independence, according to your individual needs and abilities, and to increase your confidence so that you can again enjoy a better quality of life.


People receive support from a home care service because they are frail, have physical or learning disabilities or mental health needs. With your agreement, home care staff will work closely with relatives and other informal carers e.g. friends and neighbours, so that caring tasks can be shared, if appropriate.

If you, a relative or neighbour may benefit from home care support and you would like us to contact you by telephone or email, please complete the Adult Services Contact Us/Self Referral Online Form and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.

If you are already receiving home care services from us and your circumstances have changed, please complete the online Adult Services Change of Details Form .

Home Care Assessment

In an ideal world, we would be able to give everyone everything they want. In reality we have to decide who is in the most urgent need of assistance. We have national rules, Fair Access to Care Eligibility Criteria, which were devised by the Department of Health, for deciding who receives services from us. In order to ascertain your eligibility for home care support, a care manager/social worker will complete am assessment of your needs, including information about your health, daily living skills, abilities and personal circumstances. Where relevant, a friend or relative providing you with a significant amount of care may also receive a Carer's Assessment.

If you are assessed as requiring home care support for specific tasks, a home care provider will be commissioned by Social Services to assist you. This could be either the In House Home Care Service or an external home care provider, depending upon your individual circumstances. A personal service user plan will then be developed in consultation with you and, if relevant and with your agreement, the relative or friend who provides care for you. This plan will take into account the support you require, your personal goals (i.e. what you would like to achieve) and an analysis of any risks to yourself or the staff providing your support. Your care will be reviewed regularly in consultation with you and if your needs change radically a re-assessment of need will take place.

The assessment is entirely voluntary and you can withdraw at any stage. However, the majority of services are only provided after an assessment has taken place, so we would recommend that you complete one in order for us to provide you with the most appropriate help we can.

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission is the official watchdog for adult social care in England. It inspects and reports on adult social care services to help improve quality for people who use services. If you or someone you know is looking for care, visit the Commission's website http://www.cqc.org.uk/ where you can:

  • Search the comprehensive directory of care homes and other services, like home care, to find your local services·
  • Download free, independent reports on the quality of every registered care service to help you make an informed choice·
  • Get straightforward advice and useful checklists on how to choose a good care home or care service.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-01-16
Published: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 11:54:07
Author: Simon Arthur
Editor: Simon.Arthur
RDCMS ID: 6694