We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Carer's Assessments

The law says that anyone who provides or intends to provide a substantial amount of care on a regular basis can have a carer's assessment. No definition of 'substantial' is given. Most people contemplating seeking support are likely to eligible for an assessment.

Carer's who provide this level of care can have a carer's assessment whether or not the person they care for has had a community care assessment or wants one themself.

It's not just the amount of time you spend caring. Caring for someone with mental ill health, for example, may require a lot of supervision without much hands on caring. What's important to consider is the impact it has on your life - such as your health, your work, your relationships with family and friends - and what caring prevents you from doing.

If you share caring responsibilities with another person, or more than one person, you can each have a carer's assessment so long as you are each providing a substantial amount of care on a regular basis.

The assessment is not linked in anyway to Carer's Allowance.

The Assessment

The carers assessment covers a wide range of areas, taking into account a carers health, the caring tasks, feelings/emotions, pressures, ability to have time for a break or to be able to manage work or leisure time around your caring role. It also provides an opportunity to look at how your needs can be met by social services or by other support agencies. The assessment process will help you to:

  • think about what you do to help the person you care for, how long it takes, and how you cope with different tasks
  • reflect upon how caring affects your life
  • review the help that you could get and what support would make caring easier
  • help you plan what might happen if you are ill or have an emergency

How to find out more

If you would like more information on a Carer's Assessment, please contact the Care Manager / Social Worker who visits the person you care for. Alternatively, you can call the advice and information team to request a Carer's Assessment. See the Carers Contacts Page for details. Someone will discuss your situation with you and, if appropriate, an Assessment of your needs will be arranged at a mutually convenient time and place.

If you think you, or someone in your family might benefit from any service provided by Social Services and you would like us to contact you by phone or email, please click the following link and complete the Social Services Contact Us/Self Referral Online Form and someone will be in touch with you as soon as possible. If you are unhappy with the service that has been provided please raise this matter with your Care Manager.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-04-17
Published: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 11:34:16
Author: Simon Arthur
Editor: Simon.Arthur
RDCMS ID: 6161