Royal Wedding - 29 April 2011

The wedding of Prince William to Miss Catherine Middleton on Friday 29th April 2011 gives everyone a great opportunity to celebrate with a wide range of events, including traditional street and community parties.

The Royal Borough is keen to support you if you want to mark the wedding with a special event in your street or community. We are working with party organisers to help ensure everything goes smoothly and with the absolute minimum of annoying red tape, leaving everyone free to enjoy the day.

First things first!

Check that your street party doesn't clash with any other events in your area. Let the Council know about your plans and we will be able to advise you. Remember, if two or more events are held at the same time in a local area they can cause traffic problems so it's a good idea to check.

Temporary road closures

If you have just now decided to have a royal wedding street party, unfortunately it is too late for the Council to be able to organise a temporary road closure for you (the closing date for applications was 31 March).

However, this shouldn't prevent you from holding an event off the public highway - for example in a school playground, on a village green, in a garden or garage or village hall, pub car park or other venue where you, your families and friends can party in safety. This is a great opportunity for people of all ages to get together so, provided you have the permission of the owners/managers of the land or property - go for it!

Just a few other things

You might like to consider having public liability insurance. It's not essential but we recommend it and it is very easy to organise as much as £5m in cover for around £75.

You may need a temporary event notice or, if you intend to sell alcohol, a licence. Call the Council's Licensing Team on 01628 683840 for advice.

If your plans involve fireworks, catering, outside music etc. you will need to talk to Environmental Protection on 01628 683830.

An Event Safety Guide is available at both Maidenhead and Windsor libraries or you can download it from www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg195.pdf

For further information call the Council's Customer Contact Centre on 01628 683800.

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean?
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Polish Punjabi Urdu
Modified: 2011-04-12
Published: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 15:35:50
Author: Andrew Scott
Editor: Allison.Helyer
RDCMS ID: 30190