We are changing the look and feel of our website. During this transition period you will find that some pages that you access will redirect you to the new website. Please bear with us during this period.

Flooding - Drainage



A very important feature of road construction is drainage. New roads include designed drainage systems intended to remove water efficiently from the surface of the highway to provide a safe passage for all vehicles and pedestrians.
Older roads may have less sophisticated drainage, but all have features designed to take the water away from the road surface. It is necessary to clean and maintain these drainage systems so that they can work properly.

Problems can still occur even when drainage systems are clean and well maintained. Flooded and waterlogged roads result when the amount of water arriving on the road is greater than the capacity of the drainage facilities that take it away. Exceptional rainfall, a road being in a low lying area, changes in 'run off' from adjacent fields and rivers overflowing are some situations that can lead to the road flooding or being waterlogged can also cause problems.

Material carried into the drains by floods can also lead to them becoming blocked. Drainage grills and gratings (eg. on gullies) can become blocked very quickly when materials like mud are deposited on the road or when there is a heavy fall of leaves. If a flooded road is caused by a ruptured water main the water company will be responsible for repairing the damage.

Water is directed to drains by the road profile. Puddles (ponding) tend to occur if there is a depression in the road. This can be rectified where necessary by local patching of the road surface.

The following notes give guidance on who to contact for various types of flooding:

  • Flooding from Public Sewers

    The water company own and manage the network of public foul and surface water sewers. The majority of public sewers are located in highways and the Council has a copy of the sewer maps, which can be viewed at the Council Offices. To report an overflowing public sewer, you should call Thames Water Utilities Customer Services on 0845 9200800 (The link is to a useful contacts page for Thames Water in these circumstances)

  • Private Sewers or Drains

    On 1 October 2011 ownership and responsibility for the maintenance of the majority of sewers that would previously have been classified as "private sewers and lateral drains" transferred to the water and sewage companies in England and Wales.
    This means that Thames Water Utilities are now responsible for the maintenance of sewers and lateral drains that connect to a public foul or surface water sewer system in the Windsor and Maidenhead area. Further information on how the transfer of responsibility for private sewers and lateral drains affects you and your property can be found on Thames Water's website. Thames Water Help and Advice

  • What if a Drain or Sewer becomes blocked

    After 1 October 2011 Thames Water Utilities are responsible for the clearance of blockages and repair of damage in sewers or lateral drains that connect to a public foul or surface water system in the Windsor and Maidenhead area. The responsibility for the removal of blockages in drains within the property boundary stays the responsibility of the householder (a drain being a pipe that serves a single property).
    If there is a problem with a sewer or drain at your property it is important to establish whether the problem is likely to be:
    • in the sewer - if so it's the responsibility of Thames Water or
    • in the drain or internal plumbing - if so it's the responsibility of the householder.
    This will avoid unnecessary call outs by Thames Water engineers, for which you may be charged; talk to your neighbours, if they are affected too then the problem is likely to be in a sewer and you will need to call Thames Water on 0845 9200 800 to report the problem.
    If the problem only affects you then it is likely the problem is in a drain or with your household plumbing. You will need to resolve the problem yourself.

  • Flooding from the Public Highway

    For flooding from the public highway or reporting blocked road gullies or gratings, please call Streetcare on 01628 796803 or use the Fix it online form.

  • Flooding from a Burst Water Main

    The local water supply company are South East Water, Thames Water and Three Valleys Water. The water companies are responsible for their supply up to and including the water stopcock. By clicking on the links this will take you to their individual home pages.

  • Flooding from a Water Service Pipe or Internal Pipework

    This is the responsibility of the homeowner or landlord and would need the attention of a plumber (see "Yellow Pages" or similar directories).

  • Flooding from a Main River

    The main rivers are the responsibility of the Environment Agency, on 0845 933 3111. In addition, the Agency provide a "Floodline", which is a 24 hour advice and information service for floods and flood warning on 0845 988 1188.

  • Flooding from Watercourses, other than Main Rivers

    Watercourses, other than main rivers, are the responsibility of riparian owners. You are a riparian owner if your property or land is on, or very near, a watercourse. Riparian owners have a duty to keep the watercourse clear of any obstruction to flow and the Council can serve legal notices on riparian owners to deal with obstructions. Certain "strategic" watercourses, that are known to pose a high risk of property flooding if they become blocked, are checked and maintained by the Council's contractor on a regular basis.

  • Provision of Sandbags to Protect against Flooding

    The Council makes sandbags available to residents of the district, during emergency situations, to enable them to protect their homes from flooding. However, residents who are aware that their homes are at a high risk of flooding, e.g. as a result of the close proximity of a watercourse, are recommended to obtain sandbags from a builders' merchant to enable early preparation, as at times of flooding the Council's contractor may not be able to reach all properties before flooding occurs. Please see our Sandbags webpage for further information regarding the provision of sandbags.

    Back to top

How do you rate this information/service?
Help - What does this mean? |
Find us on: 
RBWM on Facebook RBWM on Twitter RBWM on YouTube
Modified: 2015-03-26
Published: Thu, 04 Jun 2015 15:47:54
Author: Allison Helyer
Editor: Allison.Helyer
RDCMS ID: 6989